Vandal proof taps?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am a school Caretaker and the kids frequently flood the washrooms by turning the basin taps around.
Does anyone know how I can combat this, or can you get teps with Square ends that would fit into a square hole in the basin, if anybody can provide a link that would be great.
Thanks, Chris

Sponsored Links
Think he's talking about kids wrenching them around.

Maybe bib taps bolted to the wall with liquid PTFE instead of regular tape.

Wrong forum too BTW

Yes Dan, I just figured the little B****** would not be able to leave them running.;)

It is a shame square holes and taps with lugs have been phased out, even taps in domestic use tend to spin, I find the Fix-a-Tap good but they will not stop deliberate force being used:(

Sponsored Links
It's a shame that the square holes and taps have been phased out, that was the kind of thing I was looking for.
It's 'silly season' now, leavers are going on the rampage setting off fire alarms and extinguishers so I'm kept on my toes.
Anyway I'm a newbie to the forum and I aplogise for putting this in the wrong section and look forward to talking to you guys again, maybe my school experience can help you out. Chris

Do you have the type of sink that could use a bridge mixer tap? Would it be worth it to replace for sinks that can, offsetting costs against the current cost of repairing the ongoing vandalism damage? I'm sure you can get non concussive types like this.

Keswick-Luxury-Traditional-Bridge-Basin-Mixer-Tap-p_2526968.jpg

Shame you can't wire them to the mains and shock the little fookers......

:D

Do you have the type of sink that could use a bridge mixer tap? Would it be worth it to replace for sinks that can, offsetting costs against the current cost of repairing the ongoing vandalism damage? I'm sure you can get non concussive types like this.

Keswick-Luxury-Traditional-Bridge-Basin-Mixer-Tap-p_2526968.jpg
Thats a good idea, If I could get them with a self closer, I'd be on to a winner

If you can't get a mixer already with non concussive heads then you could always retrofit them with replacement heads

One school that we maintain has this particular issue, generally it's boys where as the girls just prefer to draw on the toilet walls.

The trick is to thicken out the tap tail so it's tight as it goes into the hole, old way of doing that would have been with lead, you get a similar success with ptfe, wrap it round till its bigger than the tap hole in the basin, as you tighten the tap on it wedges itself in place, make them very hard to turn.

Persistent pupils will almost Rip basins from walls trying to spin taps, worst case is panel mounted IR blended outlets.

If there's a run of basins with taps all in a line put some steel angle iron along the line of the top of the taps and spot weld it to each tap.

Or just turn the water off. It's not like the little brutes will actually wash their hands is it.

I am not aware that the right to commit criminal damage without being sanctioned for it is enshrined in law.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back