Varnish Wooden Worktop ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I'm trying to decide which type of worktop to use on bathroom furniture in the ahmm bathroom.
I'd like to use wood but I understand that water drops will stain the wood even if well oiled.
So if I put plenty of coats of mat or satin varnish will that protect the wood? will it have other effects that I can't think of?
Any advise would be appreciated.
Ian

Sponsored Links
Hello,
I'm trying to decide which type of worktop to use on bathroom furniture in the ahmm bathroom.
I'd like to use wood but I understand that water drops will stain the wood even if well oiled.
So if I put plenty of coats of mat or satin varnish will that protect the wood? will it have other effects that I can't think of?
Any advise would be appreciated.
Ian
Varnish will work. To maintain the natural beauty of the wood use a clear varnish. My opinion is that water based varnish is rubbish. Use solvent based. Yacht varnish is best but a good floor or exterior grade will do. Make sure the wood your using has been well sanded through the grades to a 240 grit. Sand in the direction of the grain or the scratches will show when you apply the varnish. When you've finished sanding wipe clean and remove any excess dust with a tack cloth. Then wipe over with thinners (acetone is best if you can get it) this will stop any oils present in the wood or on the surface from interfering with the varnish (use a lint free cloth). After applying the 1st coat, sand lighty with a fine grade paper. Make sure you adhere to the drying times. Before your next coat clean with a tack cloth and wipe down with thinners. Repeat the same process for every coat you apply, except go down to very fine sandpaper untill you using wet and dry between coats. Use a minimum of three coats, but 10 is better. Use good quality brushes and the finish will be spectacular.

Many thanks for your very comprehensive reply.
Can I ask if you have any advice on the actual grit of the paper to be used between the various coats? I'd like to do a really good job with this so am planning the full 10 coats.
Ian

Many thanks for your very comprehensive reply.
Can I ask if you have any advice on the actual grit of the paper to be used between the various coats? I'd like to do a really good job with this so am planning the full 10 coats.
Ian
240 should do. You may need it a little more coarse after the first coat. After 3 coats use wet and dry. What your trying to achieve is a flat finish. So suck it and see. But your aiming to use as fine a grade as poss by the last coat. Enjoy.

Sponsored Links
Hello

the varnish wooden worktop a new kitchen fitted with real wood work surface. The fitter has told us that it will go mouldy around the sink and will be really difficult to maintain.
Is this true? We take good care of our property and don't want this to happen. Surely if you are careful this won't happen?
Please share your experiences if you have had a real wood work surface in your kitchen.

Thank

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back