vat!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm looking for some feedback and advice.

I'm a small business dealing with private domestic home owners providing home improvement work.

There is myself and a couple of subby that I use. I am flat out until August with work.

I want to expand the business and take on a few more subbys but this will take my turnover over the vat threshold.

I don't think I would get the work if I added 20 percent to my quotes. I would have to take it out of my profits. I would need to double my turn over to earn the same money I'm on now.

Sponsored Links
You won't actually be adding 20% to the quotes in their entirety, should you become VAT registered, just an additional 20% on the labour.

Your quotes are already allowing for the VAT on mat's.

don't forget that being vat registered allows you to claim all your vat back that you paid for business related purchases.

OP:From your comment about doubling turnover will result on the same profit, I assume you have current profits of about £30K. on turnover of approx. £80K. But your understanding is flawed. As mentioned, paying 20% VAT to HMRC is not a real increase in costs of 20%. You are, I think, assuming VAT roughly of £16K (on current turnover) whereas it would be probably about £6K. However, this figure would assume your subbies are VAT registered. If they are not, your VAT bill would rise by 20% of what you pay them.

Also, did you know that when you register, you can also claim back VAT on allowable purchases you have made, going back several years.

Sponsored Links
see this is how i calculate it. my current situation

my profit £30,000
my materials costs are around £10,000

subby costs around £27,000

other costs £8000

Total £75,000

I know I could do commercial work but its not what i want to do.

I would like to take probably 1 or 2 more guys on thats all nothing to great and i estimate i would make an additional £15,000 profit but then there is the basic rate tax bracket also. I am a sole trader not limited

Sponsored Links
Back