Vauxhall Astra..Potential problem with mechanic.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

This is my first post.

I recently had my gearbox reconditioned about six weeks ago. I noticed oil leaks on my drive so had a look underneath. The oil is coming from the seal directly where the gearbox bolts onto the engine block.

I took it back to the garage and he said that the oil leak was engine oil and not gearbox oil so the problem was likely to be the crankshaft seal and nothing to do with the work carried out by him. He said he was too busy to look at it thoroughly and booked it in for next week.

It seems very coincidental that a car that has never dropped a spot of oil is now leaking very soon after having work done. Furthermore, the oil patch on the drive, although reasonably dark does not resemble the darker patches that I have seen from other cars I have owned.

If the crankshaft seal had gone would engine oil force its way out of a brand new seal from gearbox to block?

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Sponsored Links
Gearbox oil has a distinctive smell - anyone who's used it can tell.
If its gearbox oil, it will remain clean.
Chances are its gear oil, or a wild coincidence!
John :)

Gearbox oil has a distinctive smell - anyone who's used it can tell.
If its gearbox oil, it will remain clean.
Chances are its gear oil, or a wild coincidence!
John :)

The whole area has become quite dirty. I'll have a good wipe round and put some clean cardboard under and check the colour. Cheers man.

Sponsored Links
I find mechanics can be temperamental, especially if there is an issue with the cost of the work carried out.
But, in this case I guess its just a bit of engine oil running down onto the bell-housing. Can be difficult for even a qualified person to distinguish where exactly oil originates from. If its that severe you will see it on the engine oil dipstick level over a few weeks. Just make sure the new/reconditioned gearbox doesn't run low on oil.

Most gearbox oil smells of cats but it should be clear as the gearbox will have had new oil, if its very dirty the chances are that it is engine oil.

Peter

Most gearbox oil smells of cats but it should be clear as the gearbox will have had new oil, if its very dirty the chances are that it is engine oil.

Peter

I just had 4 new tyres fitted so the airgun has probably deposited all the brake dust and **** onto the leaked oil on the gearbox. Havent had a chance to clean it up yet but i'll let you know when i do.

Peter
The oil is clear like thick cooking oil. I took the car to the mechanic who now agrees that it is not engine oil but says he can't do anything until he finds out exactly where the oil is leaking. He even suggested it could be brake fluid.

He had the car on the ramp and the leak seems to be coming from the rear of the gearbox on the vertical where it meets the block but you can't physically see where from. There is no evidence from up top. He dipped the gearbox oil and the level is ok. Now he says that he wants me to place more cardboard under and show him the results. I tried this last night but it blew a gale and didn't work.

Can anybody suggest a way of actually proving that he has not done his job correctly, so he would have to rectify it?

Certainly sounds like gearbox oil, if its coming from the primary shaft bearing it could just be that it has been overfilled or it could be that the seal is leaking. Check the level first.

Peter

Hi,

This is my first post.

I recently had my gearbox reconditioned about six weeks ago. I noticed oil leaks on my drive so had a look underneath. The oil is coming from the seal directly where the gearbox bolts onto the engine block.

I took it back to the garage and he said that the oil leak was engine oil and not gearbox oil so the problem was likely to be the crankshaft seal and nothing to do with the work carried out by him. He said he was too busy to look at it thoroughly and booked it in for next week.

It seems very coincidental that a car that has never dropped a spot of oil is now leaking very soon after having work done. Furthermore, the oil patch on the drive, although reasonably dark does not resemble the darker patches that I have seen from other cars I have owned.

If the crankshaft seal had gone would engine oil force its way out of a brand new seal from gearbox to block?

Thanks in advance for any answers.

if it was gear box oil it would be clean oil and sometimes smells like cherries and sometimes redish in colour, engine oil will be black becuase it will be used oil, brake fluid would be clean oil and talmost translucant???clear excuse spelling please.

Sponsored Links
Back