Velux Flashing advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, thank you for reading this post. We have recently had an extension built and I am after some advice about Velux flashings.

The builder/roofer have Sandtoft 20/20 tiles and the pitch of the roof is 15 degrees. The problem is that the tiles either side of the Velux windows seem to bow upwards. I have attached a couple of photographs which shows this clearly.

//media.diynot.com/204000_203652_60873_68263340_thumb.jpg

//media.diynot.com/204000_203652_60872_57908653_thumb.jpg

I raised this issue with the builder and initially he told me that foam on the flashing could be trimmed to let the tiles sit flatter. After discussion with his roofer he then told me that this had already been done. He told me that they had used the EDZ kit 'as is recommended for this type of tile'.

The roofer came to supposedly discuss it further, but basically told me there was nothing he could do and that as the tiles are clay, they would eventually settle and sit flatter. Unfortunately a few weeks later the tiles are sitting exactly the same as before.

As a result I looked on the Velux website and to my surprise their guide for Sandtoft 20/20 tiles on a 15 degree pitch is the EDW flashing kit. Not really knowing what I was talking about I tentatively raised this with the builder and roofer to be told that using the EDW kit would make the roof look worse as 'this flashing kit actually sits higher'.

What I need some advice on is 1) Am I being lied to - would there be a difference between the EDZ and EDW kit? and/or 2) whether there is anything else they could do to improve the appearance without compromising the effect of the flashing?

I really am clueless when it comes to this sort of thing so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I can't see a thing wrong with your tiles and have seen fare worse kick on the tiles than that!

Does it leak?

Some customers...! :rolleyes:

Most Velux roofing products go down to 15 degrees across the board.

Tiles are sitting OK, more than I can say about the up stand on the window.

Sponsored Links
Hello, thank you for reading this post. We have recently had an extension built and I am after some advice about Velux flashings.

The builder/roofer have Sandtoft 20/20 tiles and the pitch of the roof is 15 degrees. The problem is that the tiles either side of the Velux windows seem to bow upwards. I have attached a couple of photographs which shows this clearly.

//media.diynot.com/204000_203652_60873_68263340_thumb.jpg

//media.diynot.com/204000_203652_60872_57908653_thumb.jpg

I raised this issue with the builder and initially he told me that foam on the flashing could be trimmed to let the tiles sit flatter. After discussion with his roofer he then told me that this had already been done. He told me that they had used the EDZ kit 'as is recommended for this type of tile'.

The roofer came to supposedly discuss it further, but basically told me there was nothing he could do and that as the tiles are clay, they would eventually settle and sit flatter. Unfortunately a few weeks later the tiles are sitting exactly the same as before.

As a result I looked on the Velux website and to my surprise their guide for Sandtoft 20/20 tiles on a 15 degree pitch is the EDW flashing kit. Not really knowing what I was talking about I tentatively raised this with the builder and roofer to be told that using the EDW kit would make the roof look worse as 'this flashing kit actually sits higher'.

What I need some advice on is 1) Am I being lied to - would there be a difference between the EDZ and EDW kit? and/or 2) whether there is anything else they could do to improve the appearance without compromising the effect of the flashing?

I really am clueless when it comes to this sort of thing so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi there....

Your extension looks exactly like ours and we have the same problems so wondered if you were able to overcome them and have any tips.

Our roof is just over 15 degrees pitch and we have 3 velux windows fitted about 1200mm apart.

We too have used sandtoft 20/20 tiles butthe EDW flashings and have "kick up" much worse than yours....it actually looks like the roof has collapsed inbetween....not a good look!
We have had 2 roofers do the roof (had other probs with 1st set of tiles) and both times they came across the same problem.. I have been in touch with velux tech dept who say the tiles should sit almost flat if correctly fitted.

Did you change to the Edw flashing and did it work??? Or did you have to do anything else to get them to sit flat?

Thanks

The velux flashing kit sits on top of the tile battens and the tiles sit on top of this. Even if you grind the unused nib off the tiles kick slightly. The flashing kit, foam, gutter seams are a minimum of 10mm.

Wider tile units (300mm wide) exaggerate the problem as opposed to narrower plain tiles etc.

Surly you can pack the batons out to minimise the effect of the flashing kick.

Well the tiles are drooping in between the sky lights because of the flashing either side being 3 or 4mm higher, so if you cut some strips of ubiflex to fit on the batons between the skylights say 2" wide and bend it slightly over the top of the baton, then that should help to equalise the difference.

Had a good look at my flashings and it seems one of the roofers has hammered down the channel next to the foam!

anybody know why he wold have done this?

Well the tiles are drooping in between the sky lights because of the flashing either side being 3 or 4mm higher, so if you cut some strips of ubiflex to fit on the batons between the skylights say 2" wide and bend it slightly over the top of the baton, then that should help to equalise the difference.
That simple eh?

And how do you balance things up with the surrounding tiles and their battens, bearing in mind you need to gain a minimum of 10mm?

Had a good look at my flashings and it seems one of the roofers has hammered down the channel next to the foam!

Because you moaned them to death and they are idiots.

And if the battens are "packed" wouldn't they then sit higher than the tiles above therefore stop the water flowing down properly

Because you moaned them to death and they are idiots.

And if the battens are "packed" wouldn't they then sit higher than the tiles above therefore stop the water flowing down properly

"NOSEALL" I came on here for some advice, not to get unhelpful comments, they were not "moaned to death", they were left to do the job....my mistake thinking they were the experts!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back