ventilating an enclosed shower cubicle and bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to install an enclosed shower cubicle in a small bathroom (1.8m x 1.5m)....the same cubicle comes with a per-installed fan but no ducting - so as it stands, it would simply eject vapour/condensation in the bathroom area (no good).
The cubicle hasn't been installed yet - this because I need to make up my mind about the ventilation requirements for the cubicle and/or the whole bathroom.
When the cubicle is operating, apparently is completely sealed from the bathroom, i.e. the steam stays inside and condenses into water (most of it, I guess)...so, rather than installing 2 fans/ducting: one for the cubicle and the other for the bathroom, why not installing just 1 for the bathroom area?

Maybe another smart solution would be to get one of those in-line fans and link it with both the shower cubicle and the bathroom...

Any idea/suggestion? How good are these enclosed shower cubicles?

Sponsored Links
Any idea/suggestion? How good are these enclosed shower cubicles?
Is this the steam shower you mentioned in another thread ? A sort of one person only standing up sauna room ?

I had the "experience" of such a mini sauna, if yours is the same then forget about getting clean quickly. You literally wash yourself in your own sweat mixed with a bit of condensed water. You do eventually get very clean as every pore is wide open and has sweated it'self out clean. Then you need a good long drink to replace the fluids you have lost.

Indeed, I've mentioned about this steamer shower in another thread - but here is for other reasons: ventilation and how do these steam cubicle work...as I've bought it but haven't installed yet and never tried before...

There are some shower with proper sauna function....these steam versions must have some limitation in that aspect - a midway between shower and sauna perhaps?

Then, the main concern was related to how well the steam is kept inside the cubicle without affecting too much the rest of the bathroom - why the need for ventilation inside the cubicle? The steam eventually condensate and go away in the form of water - shall I bother with installing ventilation inside the cubicle and also the rest of the bathroom or can I ignore the cubicle? After all a shower is meant to be wet; why the need to keep it dry? As long as the rest of the bathroom is dry, I'm happy - so, all I need is a good ventilation in the center of the bathroom and keep the shower cubicle well insulated.

Sponsored Links
correction:
I don't need an extracting vent in the middle of the ceiling (no I don't)...a better solution would be as far as possible for the air inlet - e.g. a window or a vent at the bottom of a door.
We learn something new everyday...

Now, it seems centrifugal are the fans to go for...then there are these double flow? What are these? (look like centrifugal to me).

From the TLC calculator I need to remove 107 cubic meters per hour...how reliable are these tables?

Then about the ducting...are the small 110x60 adequate? Surely their area is less than the standard 100mm circular ducts...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back