ventilation requirements for conventional flue gas boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently our club had its yearly boiler service and the engineer stated that we needed more ventilation but he did not state what we required .We have an ideal concord C series 2 gas boiler but the identification badge seems to of come off so I cannot say what the BTU's are.It is a convential flue type in a commercial building and is located in the basement thanks

Sponsored Links
I've found over 50 variations on the concord conventional flue boilers....any more identifying numbers / letters on it?

High Level= 270cm² plus 2.25 cm² per kw in excess of 60kw total rated input.

Low level= 540cm² plus 4.5 cm² per kw in excess of 60kw total rated input.

:LOL:

Sponsored Links
Have we gone back to 4.5 Cm2 per Kw or have you got it wrong doitall as I thought it was 5Cm2 per Kw

PEDANTICVINDICTIVEMAN said:
Have we gone back to 4.5 Cm2 per Kw or have you got it wrong doitall as I thought it was 5Cm2 per Kw

5cm2 per kw net, 4.5cm2 per kw gross

Why the high and low vents? have you seen this compartment its in DIA??

4.5cm² is based on the appliance Gross maximum rated heat input

whereas;

5cm² is based on the net maximum input.

Perhaps I should say these are Minimum requirements direct to outside air, from a room you would double the sizes.

My figures are also per manufacturers instructions pvcman :LOL: :LOL:

Yea but I thought we were supposed to be working out everything in net and manufacterers were supposed to badge in net now, but if you came across an old boiler badged in gross you would convert gross to net by didviding by 1.11 then calculate 5cm2 per Kw.

This is a bit like lpg not needing extra ventilation as it's hotter so not on for as long, thing is what happens if the stat or gas valve sticks then it aint gonna shut off and it aint technically going to get enough oxygen.

PEDANTICVINDICTIVEMAN said:
Yea but I thought we were supposed to be working out everything in net and manufacterers were supposed to badge in net now, but if you came across an old boiler badged in gross you would convert gross to net by didviding by 1.11 then calculate 5cm2 per Kw.

No I wouldn't :LOL:

I would look in the manufacturers book, much easier :LOL:

smmjh11
If you can't find the power of your boiler , go watch the gas meter when it's on full (and nothing else is)
If you have a metric meter time how much gas is used in 2 minutes, if it's an imperial one, time how ,long it takes for one cu ft, that's usually 1 revolution of the dial with the pointer. T
hen tell us if the boiler is in a compartment, if so where the fresh air vents would go; ie into a room or straight to outside.

Edit: PVM is right (next post). You can get a minimum figure from the above, but the boiler might have been "turned down" by the installer, in which case the vent has to be big enough to suit the boiler when fully on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back