ventilation requirements for conventional flue gas boiler

That might not be the correct way to do it, if the boiler is range rated and only set for it's lower output, someone might come along and add some rads and alter it's setting in which case the ventilation will be incorrect.

Sponsored Links
somebody tell me i am really reading this crap

boiler in a public building

and you pricks are trying to tell him how to calculate ventilation

PLEEEEEEEEESE

Sponsored Links
kevplumb said:
somebody tell me i am really reading this rubbish

boiler in a public building

and you pricks are trying to tell him how to calculate ventilation

PLEEEEEEEEESE
The original poster stated that the ENGINEER has informed him that the ventilation is incorrect. IT`S HIS CALL. Doesn`t matter wether the boiler is in a shed on the moon. PVM is quite correct.

kevplumb said:
you obviously dont realise the safety implications
as your name suggests TRAINEE

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Ah come on kev i think even trainee realises the wall will fall down if you smash a 2m² hole with any support

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Lets get this in perspective, I go to peoples house's who have a back boiler and fire which has been working for 25 years without any purpose provided ventilation, it's not killed anyone in all that time, after lots of argueing I insist on fitting proper ventilation, guess what, every year after I keep having to remove sellotape ect because they have sealed it off, I always remove it at every service but it's allways blocked off the next year, make's you wonder how important this ventilation is, I mean one minute the experts are tellings us 4.5cm2 then it's 5.0cm2, so what I fitted last year is undersized, makes you wonder if anyone knows what's what.

ollski said:
I've found over 50 variations on the concord conventional flue boilers....any more identifying numbers / letters on it?

I managed to find out it is an ideal Concord C290 series 2 gas boiler rated at 295,000 BTU or 86.5 KW.Now according to my calculations the requirements at high level would be 330cm sq and at low level would be 660cm sq using a guide of 270cm sq plus 2.25cm sq per KW in excess of 60KW for high level and 540cm sq plus 4.5cm sq per KW in excess of 60 KW

Do you now have to have high and low vents going to the outside or can it be just one vent.

I now that you have to be corgi registered to work on gas boilers but this is not what I am doing it is merely that an engineer came to do the yearly service and stated that the ventilation was now inadequate and needed sorting out which as I am an ex-british gas engineer they asked my advice regarding what to do .i told them I would try to find out the requirements as the engineer did not state ventilation requirements.
Now this boiler is in a basement area and the only ventilation it had before was a whole window frame about 3 foot square which was boarded up with metal which had lots of holes drilled in it which I assume from the past was acceptable but maybe the regulation have changed recently.

So all I am attempting to do is find out what is required and then fit required vents.

Basement - so where would the vents go TO? .
It's the standard to say that you're going to get "adventitious" leaks of air in to a room for 7kW of open flued gas usage. I wonder if that's reasonable in a basement!
SO measure input gas and add 20% incase it's been reduced, take off 7( :confused: ) and multiply by 5 to give square cm. That's if you can vent straight to outside. If in a compartment then as previous posts, then a vent to outside.

Did a job last year where a concorde 100 was installed ,no badge visable.Phoned ideal and was informed to my surprise it was a 240,000 Btu boiler.Not surprised it wasnt working correctly on a U6 meter.Required 11 cubic M/hr.Plus bloody big vents.

smmjh11 said:
ollski said:
I've found over 50 variations on the concord conventional flue boilers....any more identifying numbers / letters on it?

I managed to find out it is an ideal Concord C290 series 2 gas boiler rated at 295,000 BTU or 86.5 KW.Now according to my calculations the requirements at high level would be 330cm sq and at low level would be 660cm sq using a guide of 270cm sq plus 2.25cm sq per KW in excess of 60KW for high level and 540cm sq plus 4.5cm sq per KW in excess of 60 KW

Do you now have to have high and low vents going to the outside or can it be just one vent.

Yes you have to have high and low vents.

Normal practice would be to duct to low level if below ground.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back