Ventilator for round hole in glass - also spirits of salt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anybody know where I might obtain one of those plastic ventilators that gas companies used to fit in windows whenever a gas appliance was installed? The reason I ask is that one such ventilator broke into pieces when I removed it for cleaning and I need to replace it with a new one if possible.
The glass is a sealed double-glazed unit which is 16mm thick and the hole is 120mm diameter in the inner pane and 150mm diameter in the outer pane.
The ventilator has a spinning fan-blade in it but there is a hit-and-miss cover that operates with a pull-cord so you can close it when ventilation is not required.
Enquiries at my local hardware store resulted in the expected, "ain't seen one o' them for years mate".
The other thing I'm looking for is "spirits of salt", otherwise known as hydrochloric acid. I want this for turning a copper roof green without waiting a few years. Apparently if you dissolve zinc in the acid and then apply it to copper, you get the desired "verdigris" without the long wait.
Best wishes,
paul

Sponsored Links
Also the slate would do. But if your roofs copper get it weighed in a buy some timber. You can sleep safe at night knowing no one will have nicked it for scrap along with your lead

Most of these fans are now put on a switch rather than a cord. All you need to do is phone an electrician and give him the dimensions you gave here and he would help

The other thing I'm looking for is "spirits of salt", otherwise known as hydrochloric acid. I want this for turning a copper roof green without waiting a few years. Apparently if you dissolve zinc in the acid and then apply it to copper, you get the desired "verdigris" without the long wait.
Best wishes,
paul

I believe they used to urinate on the roofs to get them green, but it may be an urban myth or else it was a long climb down and back up to go to a toilet. Try sculptor's antiquing fluid or tourmaline.

http://www.tiranti.co.uk/subdivisio...on+&+Finishing&Subcategory=66&Subdivision=272

I wouldn't use hydrochloric acid, you may wind up with holes in the copper.

Sponsored Links
Thanks to all who responded. I found the vent I was looking for and in case it is of use to anybody else, the supplier is:-

http://www.rwsimon.co.uk/index.htm

No luck with the spirits of salt, but I might just try the uric acid idea as suggested.
Best wishes,
Paul

Hydrochloric Acid - Any Plumber's Merchant, as a heavy duty descaler for drains. I use it quite a lot. Not to be confused with Sulphuric acid, ditto.
OK, now where do you get your Zinc?
Tourmaline turns copper slate grey, by the way, not v nice. The Romans used to use ammonium chloride on their bronzes...

Any form of closable vent is NOT ok for gas, by the way.
There's Stadium, Rite-Vent,...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back