venting cold flat roof?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
we are rebuilding a timber framed extension (not brick) 3.6m x 3m, clad in weather board, roof is obs board covered with 3 layers of felt, 100mm kingspan between joists and have 50mm foil backed board to go under(not up yet), we have a vented soffit board but there is no vent at the highest point/abutment of the roof, so the roof wont vent, can I retro fit mushroom vents? is so do you need 1x per joist space or can I fit 1x every other space with holes between joists?, look forward to any replies thanks

Sponsored Links
The rule of thumb is.........

The eaves vent needs to be one thousandth of the whole roof area and the ridge / abutment vent needs to be one and a half times this. This ensures a positive flow of air through the roof space to eradicate the possibility of a build up of warm, moist air within the roof space.

Some ventilation is better than none but if you deviate from the rules you risk the durability of the roof structure.

Hi thanks for the reply, the felt has already been laid, can I still fit mushroom vents, 4x 1" holes have been cut towards the top of each joist 100 mm aoart and would fit vents every other space, also have taped the kingspan to the joists to give a better vapour barrier, then still have to put up the 50mm therma board underneath , how died that sound!??

Sponsored Links
Jesus, the vapour barrier is the most important part of s cold roof?? Is this forum for real??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back