Venting through fascia

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anybody ever vented a 1st floor bathroom extractor through the roof space and out through a UPVC fascia?

I've seen the special cowelled tiles that can be fixed on the roof line but, for me, venting at the fascia level will be a lot easier and cheaper.

Basically, I will be able to easily access this from the flat roof at the rear of my house and fix a louvred vent or similar on the external fascia and duct this through from the bathroom extractor - around a 1 or 2 metre run.

Apart from the risk of steam blowing back in through the eaves and into the roof space and assuming I can get a vent that is the right profile to be mounted in the fascia, is this a good or bad idea?

Anyone see any pitfalls. :confused:

Sponsored Links
Do you really mean the fascia :?: It's quiet common & usually fairly easy to vent through the soffit board but not usually through the fascia; in most cases I would think the guttering would get in the way. :confused:

Sponsored Links
have seen it done in both fascia and soffit boards and so longs as its not going to discharge at face level (bungalow etc) don't see any problem with this arrangement (the gutter could be an issue though)

Cheers All,

Admittedly it will be a bit tight on there with both the wall plates from behind and the guttering on the front. Unfortunatel,y my house doesn't have a soffit as the eaves stop at the outer skin of the wall.

I was thinking of using a slim line rectangle vent to fit into the profile of the fascia.

This is an old thread I know but just searched for soffit v roof tile.

The plumber said the soffit from my first floor bathroom was to low to allow venting of my ceiling light/extractor and would have to go through the roof via vent tile.

The electrician however says there is plenty of room and favours the soffit (easier?) My concern is that if the soffit is low (I have a hip roof and all the first floor windows go up to the soffit) steam by its very nature rises and does not travel down hill, could it condense in the flexible ducting breed bacteria and eventually stink, or am I just looking for something for worry about. Also any vent in the soffit would be level with upstairs bedroom windows.

Any thoughts welcome

When you consider that once a rafter has been birds-mouthed onto a wall plate then there can be as little as say 2" to squeeze the ducting through and into the soffit space.

Couple this with the fact that a lot of soffits have difficult to cut asbestos boarding, or that fascia boards are often interrupted by gutter, then a vent tile can be the better solution.

Also, if it means having a shorter run of duct hose by fitting a vent tile then this will also benefit. Always insulate the hose duct to prevent condensation.

Downside of vent tiles is having to get a tile off the roof and located in a place where there is no rafter or bracing to interrupt the vent spigot and hose. You are likely to have to remove a tile that is a least 1.2m from the eaves, so having to reach out means being ultra-confident on the top of a ladder.

The plumber recommended a redland vent tile.

Either way the run is very short because the shower is on an external wall the extractor/fan is only about 2ft max from the wall, and because it is a hip roof just under the slope of the roof and very close to soffit.

Thanks

Was in a very similar position a couple of moths back, the most viable option for me was a roof vent. A local roofer did the job for me for £60 plus the tile, my tiles are Marley modern grey and they supply a tile with a vent built in which looks very slick. I was originally horrified about the roof option, but the Marley roof tile addressed the concerns I had about flashing etc and job was very simple, less than 30 mins. The felt is cut and glued in such a way that water driven under the tiles by winds etc will not get through.

You are right to worry about condensation, I bought a "drip-trap" to fit to the duct and some overflow waist pipe to carry any water away.

Thankyou Jono1uk, I am still not using the extractor because it is only sitting in the fascia at the moment, everything seems to stop over xmas and new year, fortunately I have 2 windows in my bathroom so ventilation is not a major concern.

The plumber told me for my roof a redland vented tile would be the preferred option so now the hols are over I will have to find a roofer prepared to do the job, each to his own trade I think.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back