Venturi v Thermostatic showers from a Combi boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

We're in the process of choosing a new bathroom and need a new shower to go over a corner bath. We're also having a combi boiler fitted at the same time (Potterton Gold 24HE).

We want a really nice shower and wandered what the best route was?

My folks have the New Team Jetstream venturi running of a combi and it works great - but I read in their sales blurb that you should NOT use them with a combi system as they're designed for gravity fed systems...

This then lead me to thermostatic showers ... it's a mine field. So many to choose from.

Where do you start?

Any recommendations would be most appreciated.

Cheers,

Blondebier

Sponsored Links
First for all the extra it will cost go for the 28 boiler instead of 24 as you will get 25% more hot water. Newteam venturi are not designed for combi system and are now out of production i think, although there are some still floating about.

Most thermostatic showers are half decent and will range in price fro £100 to ££££ . All depends what style you want concealeed/exposed/chrome/gold/brass.. and if it can be fitted in your situation .. Most people will prob say Mira the best but Grohe/Aqualisa/ Trevi are all just as good... And the £100 ones work just aswell.

namsag said:
First for all the extra it will cost go for the 28 boiler instead of 24 as you will get 25% more hot water. Newteam venturi are not designed for combi system and are now out of production i think, although there are some still floating about.

Most thermostatic showers are half decent and will range in price fro £100 to ££££ . All depends what style you want concealeed/exposed/chrome/gold/brass.. and if it can be fitted in your situation .. Most people will prob say Mira the best but Grohe/Aqualisa/ Trevi are all just as good... And the £100 ones work just aswell.

Get one that has an integral pressure equaliser inside - usually called combi compatible. Some makers say this and don't have them inside. Check.

I would definitely go for the 28Kw combi.

On a personal note I always fit the Mira Excel thermostatic shower if I am asked to when I fit a combi.

Never had no complaints yet. Other good makes are out there as well.

Sponsored Links
namsag said:
First for all the extra it will cost go for the 28 boiler instead of 24 as you will get 25% more hot water.
Someone's maths a bit dodgy? 4 is not 25% of 24. A 28 kW boiler would give you 17% more hot water than a 24 kW one.

chrishutt said:
namsag said:
First for all the extra it will cost go for the 28 boiler instead of 24 as you will get 25% more hot water.
Someone's maths a bit dodgy? 4 is not 25% of 24. A 28 kW boiler would give you 17% more hot water than a 24 kW one.

I assumed namsag was talking in relation to the flow rates @ 35C temp rise, 9 or 10 l/m as opposed to 12 l/m approx.

Thanks for the replies.

It looks like a thermostatic is the way to go then. I'll have a look at those makes.

How significant is the 17%? Am I really going to notice it?

9.8l per minute seems like a hell of a lot of hot water to come out of a shower...

Depends how invigorated you want to feel in the shower :LOL:

You can always turn it down, but cant get more if you feel it is not enough :cry:

Chrishutt as g4y pointed out i was refering to the hot water output in litres . Not increase in boiler size

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back