Vertical flue detached from boiler in loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I had someone come and check on my boiler after experiencing a slight smell when we started using central heating a week or so back.

I am on a top floor flat and we went into the loft to find the flue had become detached, so the gases were just going into the loft space.

For now he has had to cut the gas pipe to the boiler so it can't be used, and has said that I at least need a new vertical flue kit and potentially a new boiler if a vertical flue kit can't be sourced (due to it being old).

Looking at the boiler, it is an Ideal Mini C28. Looking in the loft, it seems to have an elbow kit and it is one of these elbows that has detached from the black pipe leading out of the roof itself. The pipe has also distorted so it can't simply be reattached.

I have looked online and come across a few parts for the C28 boiler. Does it sound like I can just replace the black pipe that leads through the roof? Would that require access to the roof or can you do this from within the loft?

Thanks for any help. The costs involved in just a flue replacement seem phenomenal and the possibility of a new boiler is frightening!

Sponsored Links
Edit: just read the post again. If the turret is damaged you will need access to the roof.

Almost certainly need access to the roof. Vertical terminals tend to be much larger than a "normal" horizontal terminal which can sometimes be installed from inside.

Thanks for the replies. I have no knowledge of plumbing at all so when you say turret, do you mean the thing I can see sticking out from the roof? Is it a case of replacing the whole thing and connecting it back to the elbow again? And are these of a standard fit?

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
It is very likely that the work can be done from within the loft.

But the problem is that this must be done by a gas reg engineer.

If you could post a few well lit photos of the problem then we could better understand what is needed.

I do still have a few non condensing Biasi ( same boiler ) flue parts in stock.

Tony

And customers complain when we at risk a boiler for no flue support! People have died before from similar situations to this OP... count yourself lucky!

I suspect that all it needs is for the black flue terminal to be pulled down and the socketed part reorientated. Then a steadying bracket fitted.

Consequesntly it seems unlikely to me that any parts would be needed.

BUT this work must be done by a gas registered engineer.

Tony

Hi,

Thanks again for the replies, all very helpful! I realise we are pretty lucky.

The black flue terminal has actually distorted so it won't fit back inside, sorry if that isn't clear from the photos. Is it feasible to cut the distorted end off and reattach with a support bracket?

What else would you need to see from the black section? And is this the part that goes straight out of the roof?

Thanks,
Michael

Metal outer flue or plastic? Unless the inner flue is distorted too then the outer part could probably be made to fit (assuming it is metal and can be bent).

Take a pic looking up the end of the black part so we can see the inner pipe too.

Morning,

Just gone up and taken a photo of the black part looking up. The inner metal tube is still circular, it's just the outer plastic part that has become a funny shape.

http://www.imgur.com/s6v3Pbj

Thanks,
Michael

That would probably go back together ok but it would be up to the RGI on the day to decide.

Think, if I could get the seals, and it passed an integrity test, I would get that back together - or at least try.

On the understanding that it might not work and work is chargeable regardless.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back