Vertical Single radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a front room that has a double bay windows (double glazed), room is 3mx3m and it has a concrete floor….

Will a single vertical radiator 1600x472 at 4520 BTU be adequate?

Sponsored Links
Use a BTU calculator. There are many online to help with sizing of radiators

Yes I’ve done the btu calculation via b&q website and it comes in at 3500, but the above vertical radiator is giving me a lot more, but it seems small width wise hence my enquiry….

I was thinking of getting a double at above size just to be safe at 7500 btu…

Sponsored Links
Do elaborate?
Designer rads look great and if you are within 3 ft of them then you'll be nice and warm, any further away and you won't be.

The most efficient way for central heating to heat a certain room space is through convection. Standard Type11/21/22 (K1/P+/K22) radiators have a flat panel(s) and convection fins attached. Those fins increase the surface area of the rad greatly and also allow air to be convected up though the rad transferring the heat from the panel into that air flow and heating it up as efficiently as possible. That delivers a heat profile of 90% convection > 10% radiation, therefore it transfers 90% of the heat of the rad into the air.

Designer solid column rads don't have any of these fins therefore they are very poor at creating convection currents, that then delivers a heat profile translates to ~ 70% radiation and ~ 30% convection, therefore it only transfers 30% of the heat of the rad into the the air, the other 70% heats things that are close by.

The end result is usually a room that takes a great deal longer to heat up properly, if at all.

Wow! Now that’s some science well explained…..

Can I ask would the same apply to horizontal designer oval column radiators or just vertical ones?

And will double panel vertical radiators help in any way?

Can I ask would the same apply to horizontal designer oval column radiators or just vertical ones?

And will double panel vertical radiators help in any way?
That applies to any designer column radiator that has solid tubes be it round/oval/square etc. Those figure are with a double column in mind, the singles would be a lower convection rate ~10%

The old columns worked better as they have slots and air channels cut in them to allow a greater airflow through them that or they were really heavy oversized cast iron, so were a bit more efficient and heat transfer.

They can work in smaller rooms quite nicely but the only way I have found they work in larger rooms is to way oversize or use (edit spell) multiples of.

Last edited:
Well, this has definitely thrown a spanner in the works…..

I just wanted to get away from the traditional looking rads and get something a little more trendy looking…..

Any suggestions, nothing too expensive, mid range that looks good and gives good heat?

So just to clarify, despite the designer rad being advertised at 3500 btu which is way more then my old radiator, it will not emit less heat?

So just to clarify, despite the designer rad being advertised at 3500 btu which is way more then my old radiator, it will not emit less heat?
Apart from the way a "tall" column rad distributes its heat, it can be quite difficult to get the rads themselves to heat up properly due to internal waterway restrictions etc, some do give their rated output by having internal baffles installed to assist circulation. If you are buying one you should insist that it has these baffles, or walk way if you are told they don't. As suggested maybe look at Stelrad, whatever design you choose.

A 4520 Btu (1325 watts) column rad (and any rad) will emit that amount of heat and because you are sizing it +30% bigger than the calculated heat lkoss of 3500 Btu (1025 watts) then it probably will compensate reasonably well in a small 3Mx3M room for the way it distributes the heat.

All these designer rads will emit the heat they advertise, they have to, they just don't do it in a way that heats the space in the room efficiently.

Stelrad designer radiators??
Depends which ones - As long as the rad is a convecting rad then yes so it would need to be a type 11/21/22 IMO

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back