Very loud banging noises in loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Pretty much every time our central heating comes on there is a very loud sequence of banging from our loft, we've got to the point where we're just used to it now! I've been told it's most likely air locks but is there anything I can do?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hmmm, let me see now... Get a 'proper plumber' in? (but then I am biased!)

I suppose you could invest in a set of step-ladders and climb into the roof-space yourself, with a good lantern to see if you can pinpoint the noise as and when it occurs. I would look for among other things loose/unclipped pipe-work, if there's a vent-pipe which goes into the top of the smaller tank in the roofspace look to see if it is running when the system is on, water level in that small tank etc.

A small clue as to just what boiler and set-up is in the property would help us to help you, eg do you have a coper cylinder or a mains pressure one etc.

DH

it's an Apollo 15/30 boiler. I'll see if I can get in the loft and pin point the noise. Thanks

My first guess is that very loud noises indicate something very wrong, but I could be wrong of course.

Sponsored Links
Ben, I too am not discounting a stuck/seized pump and/or lack of water in system, failed O/H stat etc, but as the OP has not referred to very slow heat up of rads/hot-water cylinder we'll have to continue to second guess.

DH

Agreed, with this limited info it could be many things. My comment was not even going in a particular direction, just in general with any "machinery"; an uncommon very loud noise usually indicates a major fault.
In this case the first risk that comes to mind is a broken pipe causing 5 grand damage for the sake of not spending a hundred quid. Not clever.

We have a copper cylinder. The noise seems to only be when the heating has been on for some time. I'm going to see if I can identify where its coming from today, problem is the banging lasts only for a few seconds so will have to get into the loft pretty quick!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back