Very Noisy Vokera Excell 80

Sponsored Links
Scanning the article would seem to suggest pump is a component in a system as opposed to integral part of the boiler.

You may want to check with your house insurance company. Tell them that the pump speed has been reduced from 3 to 2. Then ask them if your house is covered for insurance.

You are welcome to do as you please. You posted a query and an answer has been given by Weargas and me as to what shoiuld be changed. Pump is definately not in the picture.

Enough said. No wonder PVM goes ballistic at times. PVM what says you. Am I wasting my time?

Do not know how I did it, but 'insurance' is not intended as a link to any website.

House Insurance????? I think we've gone a little bit 'off subject' now.

As I said, I'm more than happy with my solution.

Sponsored Links
Oh, and just to clarify, I never posted the query, I was offering my experience with what seems like the same symtoms.

House Insurance????? I think we've gone a little bit 'off subject' now.

Lizzy your boiler COULD potentially cause grief because of what you've done. Better to stop thinking and do what you're advised by people who know what they're talking about and trying to caution you.

Your "solution" is analogous to only using first gear in your car if the rest make a noise. You'd be fine at 30mph with your foot on the floor.

Well, thanks to you all for your advice, the gas man commeth on monday to give the fulcrum arm a prod and see whether the moaning stops. In the meantime I tried it myself and it did, so that seems promising. I also followed Lizzy's advice, as that has allowed us to get some sleep!! I know you claim its a bit dodgy, but as a short term solution it certianly helps.

Vokera tech dept official response to the pump question;

Pump should always be set to speed 3. If the pump is at a lower speed the water is moving slower but being heated at the same rate. This can cause scaling of internal components (dhw heat ex around £85, main heat ex around £130 ouch!!). Heat retention within the boiler casing would also be increased giving a greater chance of electrical components failing. Also on larger systems radiators would suffer from reduced temperatures because the ntc shuts down prematurely.

I think;

Should be ok for a couple of days until it can be repaired.
You're taking the chance on it costing more if you run it full time that way.

lads you are wasting your time trying to explain things to some people theyalways know best and ignore sound advice from people who know better so leave them to it and the potential consequence.they will only be back claiming they have been ripped off by a heating eng or the boiler was crap and only lasted 3 years yawwwwwwwwwn

I feel I need to have a dose of humble pie! I turned the pump speed back up to 3 and it went back to making the noise. I tried the 'monkey test' on the fulcrum arm and it did indeed stop the noise. A spot of strategically placed WD40 has sorted that out and it is a quiet as a sleeping baby! I apologise if I have wound anyone up! A little knowledge is a dangerous thing, hey! :oops:

And that's my next trick! BG engineer came and was a "service" engineer, hence not "qualified" to find out why things make noises.... so WD40 here I come. And just maybe next time I will give him a slap...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back