Very old henley fuse box

Basically it's appalling, the means of connection to that age of Henley is generally by a sweated ferrule, which can be seen in some of the photos. How the very small cable and the newer (??) grey PVC are actually connected is another question. There is a single bolt to secure the ferrule but it would certainly not be up to being used for a connection. (we now have some screw ferrules that fit these)

Question is, would the DNO upgrade this cutout FOC?

And for everyone else?

When the OP mentioned the locked box? Is he referring to the switch fuse or the light grey box? As the light grey box doesn't look locked to me

Sponsored Links
Basically it's appalling, the means of connection to that age of Henley is generally by a sweated ferrule, which can be seen in some of the photos. How the very small cable and the newer (??) grey PVC are actually connected is another question. There is a single bolt to secure the ferrule but it would certainly not be up to being used for a connection. (we now have some screw ferrules that fit these)

And for everyone else?

When the OP mentioned the locked box? Is he referring to the switch fuse or the light grey box? As the light grey box doesn't look locked to me

Light gray box and its locked with a circle key :(

Unfortunately it's facing away:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/services-...32G8v6J0TQ54XWwSc9vw!-507491658!1358977823934

A circle with a hole in the middle and two tabs either side?

Edit: thats better

14.jpg

Interesting question as it would appear if it is the DNOs there are un-metered supplies connected to it, which is very unusual.
It would be interesting to know where the meters are in the premises.

As to changing it, possibly if they felt it was an issue for their own staff to operate in.
(Most MOPs would run a mile if they saw it!)

Sponsored Links
Interesting question as it would appear if it is the DNOs there are un-metered supplies connected to it, which is very unusual

After reading what you posted about these cutouts, I'm inclined to believe these are all illegal pre-meter connections (perhaps not done with criminal intent, but 'this is closest I'll take the supply from here')

It looks like the painted white cables that enter the old conduit are the original cables that presumably go off to meters in remote flats and then the clean cables are the 'suspect additions'

It looks like the painted white cables that enter the old conduit are the original cables that presumably go off to meters in remote flats and then the clean cables are the 'suspect additions'

I would tend to agree

After reading what you posted about these cutouts, I'm inclined to believe these are all illegal pre-meter connections (perhaps not done with criminal intent, but 'this is closest I'll take the supply from here') It looks like the painted white cables that enter the old conduit are the original cables that presumably go off to meters in remote flats and then the clean cables are the 'suspect additions'
At first sight, that would look like quite a possibility - but even those 'clean' cables look as if they have been there for a good few years, so if all the supplies to all of the flats had been 'pre-meter', the electricity supplier would surely have twigged by now?

Also, the OP has talked about a meter in his mother's flat - so it sounds as if each flat may well have it's own meter, but on the end of long, small-looking cables with no protection other than the cutout fuse, which would seem very odd - surely no meter operator would do that?

Kind Regards, John

maybe not now, but when did these cutouts start/stop being installed?
I don't think that's actually important, since back on page 2, the OP wrote:
she got a new electric meter last year its a new small one, but that was in the flat, i dont know how they fitted it
... and I'm damn sure that cutout has been there for longer than a year!! I suspect that there's something about this story that we don't understand - since I find it hard to believe that anyone would have connected a new meter (last year) to what we're looking at.

Kind Regards, John

Nah, most of the meter boys change what is there, they won't look into the bowels of a 1930's block.

It's wrong, it's naughty,,but it goes on. The work around the light connection is new' ish. There's been some very recent editions and yet...

rough as a badgers ......?

I'm impressed the mop did not, in westies words 'run a mile' when he saw that cutout.

Nah, most of the meter boys change what is there, they won't look into the bowels of a 1930's block.
Maybe ... but not live, presumably? Are you implying that you think they would have been happy to pull those cutout fuses (if that's what they are)?

Kind Regards, John

ok i have not looked at the meter in detail inside the house but i think it will go like this

out the fuse'e along the pipe into each flat and from there i think it will have somthing like this.

this is my fuse box in my flat, i dont know if its the same but if it is all they would of done is pull out that fuse

btw i have the same sort of set up only my old box is out side the close
but when you go inside it has another box with fuse's and it also has a meter

last but not least this is the type of box
and this type of keyfits

In fact, if that really is DNO property then someone has probably tapped into it illegally and before the meter so the small amount of power used by the intercom may have never been paid for.
Good point - which should have (but didn't!) occurred to me, amidst everything else!
Well, it did occur to me, but then:
ok a try and get a pic up soon the middle block wires go to a different metal box with a on off shiftier that then go's to a locked box that powers the lights
No mention of any meters, so either it's all being stolen, or none of it is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back