Very old henley fuse box

Sponsored Links
No mention of any meters, so either it's all being stolen, or none of it is.
But as I recently wrote, the OP has told us;
she got a new electric meter last year its a new small one, but that was in the flat, i dont know how they fitted it
... which, as I said, at first sight would seem to imply that, just last year, some meter person was happy to pull one of those fuses and connect a meter to the ends of those pretty iffy looking (and seemingly unprotected, other than by cutout fuse) cables.

Do you think it's possible that everything we've been shown is somewhat of a red herring, and that the flats are getting their supplies from somewhere else?

Kind Regards, John

Interesting question as it would appear if it is the DNOs there are un-metered supplies connected to it, which is very unusual.

Maybe it's a Scottish thing, but I know of several tenements (some rewired from scratch in the 1980s) which have unmetered supplies for close lighting etc.

In others it's quite common for new meters to be replaced on old installations.

View media item 55724

Nah, most of the meter boys change what is there, they won't look into the bowels of a 1930's block.
Maybe ... but not live, presumably? Are you implying that you think they would have been happy to pull those cutout fuses (if that's what they are)?

Last meter change I had was done live with the tail waving about.

He could have pulled the main fuse, it wasn't sealed.

Sponsored Links
but that picture has a close lighting meter which appears to feed the intercom and lights? haha :)

That would be mighty decent of them, but MUST be open to abuse if unmetered

but that picture has a close lighting meter which appears to feed the intercom and lights? haha :)

That was to emphasise the new meter on the old tails.

I could give you a photo of a modern unmetered supply with a 3 phase 'Lucy' service head with the door swinging open but it's cold out there at the mo.

Last meter change I had was done live with the tail waving about. He could have pulled the main fuse, it wasn't sealed.
Hmmm. I suspect his boss didn't know about that (otherwise it would probably have led to the equivalent of one of westie's 'no chair or coffee' meetings, or worse!).

Kind Regards, John

I'll be honest, I didn't even notice it was a new meter. Now I've looked clearly it isn't original

Picture of the lucy cutout please. Now! :evil:

... metal box with a on off shiftier ...
... shiftier for the lights control box ...
What's a shiftier?

sorry im not good at spelling im trying to say shifter but google spell checker says thats wrong lol any way its the box with the on off leaver

i dont know what you are all going on about now it is a tenement building so it is old, and as i said in my last post i think inside her flat will look like this
and there is a fuse there that can be pulled out in order to fit a new meter.

im assuming the 'MET' in that CU is actually a neutral block as one painted white cable goes off it away to the conduit and a cable enters from the bottom

Earth from the cutout / conduit or TT?

[i dont know what you are all going on about now it is a tenement building so it is old, and as i said in my last post i think inside her flat will look like this
and there is a fuse there that can be pulled out in order to fit a new meter.
If what the OP is saying about there being "a fuse to be pulled in order to fit a new meter" in his mother's flat (as in his, per the above piccie) is true, then surely we are misunderstanding something?

As I asked before, is the 3-phase cutout we've been looking at perhaps a red herring (now serving just {unmetered!} communal lighting and intercom, plus a few unused cables), with the supplies to service heads in individual flats coming from somehere else?

Kind Regards, John

a 3P+N supply for some lights & an intercom would be ridiculous.

I suppose, not out of the realms of reality though.

Need to see the meter in his mums flat to decide any further though, and even then, the tails might be jointed elsewhere to the old thin ones

a 3P+N supply for some lights & an intercom would be ridiculous. I suppose, not out of the realms of reality though.
Sure, but that's the present. At some time (and possibly still), that supply obviously served a lot more than a few lights and an intercom - but it could be that it has subsequently been superseded (by other supplies to the flats), only that trivial (and seemingly unmetered) purpose remaining. There may not even be fuses in the left-hand and middle carriers.
Need to see the meter in his mums flat to decide any further though, and even then, the tails might be jointed elsewhere to the old thin ones
We do, indeed - but it would surely be very odd to have DNO fuses at both ends of those cables/'tails', whether jointed or not? There's definitely more to be learned about this set-up!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back