Very small building project

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello i'm about to embark on a small building project and would be grateful of any advice.
Currently we have a small shed like structure attached to the house built out of concrete block (about 6ft widex3ft deepx5ft tall). Unfortunately it is badly built and whilst i am redoing the garden i would like to rebuild it and make it slightly bigger to fit a couple of bikes etc.

The structure will be rendered afterwards so im not too concerned with absolute perfect block laying but i do have some questions;
1)shall i build with aerated blocks or concrete ones?
2)what should i do about a lintel over some fairly wide doors?
3)can i put plasterboard on top at an angle and render over that to form my roof?
4)will the rendered joint between structure and house be enough to stop water dripping through?

if anyone could just answer one or two of those questions i will be very grateful.

Sponsored Links
1) Concrete blocks.
2) Depending on the width of the opening over doors ect a 4" concrete or box lintol should be ok. Always allow a 150mm bearing
3) You cannot render onto plaster board.
4) Render is water proof but it's not good for roof material

For the roof you could try some ply covered in shhets of bitumen roll and a flash band where the roof and existing house meet to stop any leaks.

Thanks thats pretty much answered my questions for now!!

much appreciated...

Sponsored Links
another question ive thought of is

how much depth should i allow for the render so that the walls match up?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back