Victorian house roof tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help us
We have a Victorian 4 bed House and about 22 years ago the roof was retiled using Concrete (red) tiles instead of slate.
I have just had a survey done and been told that these tiles are to heavy for the buildings structure and will need to be changed
The Surveyor never asked how long ago the work was done and there are no signs of Sagging.
So how could he estimate that they would last another 5 years max??

i was then quoted a large sum of money to get the structure strengthened

Am i being led up a path or is this true ?

Another builder said it was untrue ??

HELP ?

Sponsored Links
It can only be a cautious guess covering the timber structure.
As it is likely that there is excessive weight up there now..
get a couple of prices for strengthening usually it isnt that big a deal.

As far as tiles go,Concrete tiles have a very long life span far exceeding most clay products.

Why was this survey done and was it a 'proper' surveyor or a sales rep of some sort?

He needs to qualify why the tiles are too heavy, and state what problem is currently being caused by them. It's not good enough for him to make such a statement without explaining the reasoning behind it

Tiles generally have a 50-60 year life span

Sponsored Links
Can anyone help us
We have a Victorian 4 bed House and about 22 years ago the roof was retiled using Concrete (red) tiles instead of slate.
I have just had a survey done and been told that these tiles are to heavy for the buildings structure and will need to be changed
The Surveyor never asked how long ago the work was done and there are no signs of Sagging.
So how could he estimate that they would last another 5 years max??

i was then quoted a large sum of money to get the structure strengthened

Am i being led up a path or is this true ?

Another builder said it was untrue ??

HELP ?
If the original roof was designed to carry the weight of slates,then retiling it with concrete tiles could cause a problem because a square metre of concrete tiles can be a lot heavier than a square metre of slates.

I have saw a few roofs that have sagged because the original slates have been replaced with concrete tiles because they are cheaper.

The problem is that concrete tiles can be more than twice the weight of slates.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back