view from a loft window?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
do you actually have to provide a view from a window in a loft conversion or can it be high up for light only?

this is not for any kind of practical application, just a 3d house I'm drawing for fun..

there's a roof purlin at 1.5m from the floor, supported on the 2 end walls, and 3 intemediary walls along it's length ( it's a big house.. 18m wide.. ) so I'd rather not cut that if I can help it. ( again, all virtual, no actual house will be harmed.. :) )

the roof currently allows for a 4.6m wide space along it's entire length with a ceiling height of 2.4m..
if I expand outwards then I get into the sloped roof area.

I suppose I could lower the purlin and put a second one in at a higher position, allowing the windows to be put at a reasonable level and make the rooms wider into the sloped areas..

Sponsored Links
As far as I know and understand there's no requirement to provide a veiw and if there were it would lead to endless planning problems.
If you're drawing this house for fun then you can put it whereever you like and have veiws of rolling countrysides, lakes, mountains or whatever takes your fancy.
Of course in the "real world" it might be condemned factories or slums, slagheaps or prisions and whilist anything you look upon can be described as a veiw would potential residents actually want it?

ok, so view might have been the wrong description, what I meant was do you have to be able to look out of the windows or are they allowed as above head height only..

I know that there used to have to be an escape window at no more than 1100mm from the floor level for fire escape reasons, but they've taken that requirement out now..

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back