Vista and USB Modem not compatible ???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just got a new PC with Vista and tried to connect my AOL modem but it wont accept the USB Modem and i have been told only the other tpye of modem will work with Vista ! Is this true ?

Sponsored Links
Vista is new - driver support for some devices is limited - will be along in time. :cry: That's one of the problems of being an early adopter.

I don't think there are any drivers for USB modems with Vista to press. I'm with AOL and have the netgear DG834G (Modem,wireless router, switch) which works fine with my computer with Vista. If you don't need/want wireless this modem is available without (DG834). This modem is pretty easy to setup with AOL too. If you need the settings just shout, they are also available on the AOL website under keyword router, help and advice, essential settings. To use this type of modem you'll need a ethernet port on your PC but I don't think many motherboards are without them nowadays. I take it you are aware that you'll also need to download the software from the AOL website, it is called Vista VR (Vista Ready). http://info.aol.co.uk/downloads/

edit, also read //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=83488 and see if you can get a free one!!

Sponsored Links
Just wondering, why are you using the USB connection? The modem settings / changes should be do-able via the ethernet connection, usually by typing in the modems IP address in an Internet browser window - this IP address should be available in the documentation supplied with the modem.

You can also get the modem IP by going to Start, Run & typing cmd then in the window that opens up type ipconfig /all. Somewhere in the resulting list there should be a default gateway listed - this is of course assuming the modem is connected via the ethernet port and Vista works the same as XP for the above commands!

I hope this helps, but this could also be total BS if you have a modem with no ethernet port.

robzc said:
Just wondering, why are you using the USB connection? The modem settings / changes should be do-able via the ethernet connection, usually by typing in the modems IP address in an Internet browser window - this IP address should be available in the documentation supplied with the modem.

You can also get the modem IP by going to Start, Run & typing cmd then in the window that opens up type ipconfig /all. Somewhere in the resulting list there should be a default gateway listed - this is of course assuming the modem is connected via the ethernet port and Vista works the same as XP for the above commands!

I hope this helps, but this could also be total BS if you have a modem with no ethernet port.

My Modem doesnt have a Etherner port so i cant do anything about it .

Thanks for all the help guys ! Gonna get rid of AOL asap .

Danny_P_G said:
Igorian said:
I'm curious, why do you install the AOL software?

New PC , I needed to install the new driver for the modem !

Sorry dude, was a bit of a hijack. I was wondering why Spark123 used the AOL software with a router.

I don't really need to use it, for 99% of the time I use IE for web browsing. The only thing I really use the AOL software for is accessing Emails. It is possible to access email through IE but is easier with the AOL software. There is also a way of mapping them to outlook but that turned out to be a nightmare!!

I'd kind of guessed it was because of emails. I've set up quite a few on OE with no problems, using IMAP. It saves having all that bloated code floating about (IMHO ;) )

lol, I tried imapping once, couldn't get it to work with all 6 email addresses. I don't know if it was a problem with outlook or with AOL but it wouldn't recieve emails on all the addresses although there was mail present when opened with AOL.

Sponsored Links
Back