Vokera 20-80 RS Flowmatic too old?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Flowmatic's 3bar safety valve is dripping and the water pressure fairly quickly falls below 1 bar.

The guy who identified this can't or won't replace it, suggesting instead that the boiler is old (to look at it it must be between 10 and 15 years,) and I should really get a Vaillant condensing combi - ECOTEC PRO 24 NG COND COMBI.

I think he has a point. However the replacement'll be around £1800 plus power flush if needed.

All your postings suggest the Flowmatic is a good boiler - should I really be replacing it just yet?

Another little question - if I do, my man says he can't get the trade price, but something a bit higher - around £900 (the balance of £900 is his installation cost.)

BUT - I can see this boiler on boilers2go.co.uk for £670 inc vat. Now I don't want to deprive my man of his proper costs, but is this really reasonable - would I be paying above odds?

Any help very much appreciated!

Regards,

Abe

Sponsored Links
a dripping safety valve is a very simple and cheap fix. It would be wise to also check the expansion vessel whilst replacing/cleaning it. As for getting a new boiler, what exactly is the reason? Its not to bad a boiler, spares are available if need be and even these 'older' combi's are still quite efficient. If your happy with it I don't see the point in getting a new one. Unfortunately there are too many installers around who are only interested in replacing boilers not repairing them for obvious financial reasons.

Thanks Mickyg.

Interesting - it was just because the boiler's rather old - I thought it would be good money after bad. And a new one'd burn less gas (but looking at this forum, maybe not much less.

Perhaps I should search for someone willing to do the job then. I can see the part on boilersparesuk for £7, so you're quite right about that.

I don't suppose you're anywhere near SW8/Lambeth are you??? Sorry to be cheeky - I always find it very hard to find a good boiler engineer.

Thanks again,

Abe

Yes you can keep mending these, but as with any boiler, especially combi, of that age it's likely to need a major stripdown service sooner or later if it's not to keep giving small problems. That isn't a problem in itself as long as there's reasonable access, because the parts aren't expensive, but you do have to find someone who's prepared to do it.
I've had one driving me nuts though, we've decided it must have a partially blocked main heat exchanger which doesn't want to clear and has now started leaking, so new boiler it is.
If you do replace it, consider something 28kW or above for better winter hot water.

A problem with online boiler vendors comes eg if there's say a dent in the side - you may have a difficulty.

Sponsored Links
easily repairable BUT......

Modureg on the gas valve is no longer available for these boilers.

Start saving for a new boiler....not rush out and buy a new one but start planning.

It hasn't been serviced in since Aug 2006 :)oops: - that's how long I've been here.)

So it sounds like I should look for someone who knows this boiler to change the valve, service the boiler and add some new chemicals.

If/when I change the boiler, do you think it's okay to buy the boiler (I take your point about transit damage,) and then get quotes for installation - is that a good approach?

ChrisR - you don't cover SW8 - South Lambeth by any chance?

Thanks so much all of you,

Regards,

Abe

Your boiler is very solidly built and as DP on here would say is well worth repairing. Its about 80% efficient and the latest condensing boilers are about 93% so the gas saving would be noticeable but does not justify spending so much for a new boiler. Just because the modureg may no longer be listed is of little consequence as I dont remember ever needing to change one on any make of boiler.

We charge £840 fully inclusive plus the cost of the new boiler and many think we are expensive but we do the job properly and give a full warranty backup. Your installer seems to be charging about £1100 which is very expensive and that does not even include power flushing.

Its always better to let the installer supply the boiler but he can get them at similar prices but just wants to make an extra margin. Probably to be avoided.

We will fit any make and are happy for the owner to buy the boiler but if they do then any warranty issues are their responsibility to manage. If we supply the unit we attend first and if its a manufacturer's part which has failed then we contact them and if necessary attend when their engineer comes.

Repairing your boiler is very easy and any competent boiler engineer will have no problem. There are a lot of people who look for installation jobs by going out to broken down boilers, saying they cannot be repaired and then giving a high quote to replace the boiler then next day. They hope that you will agree the high price for peace of mind.

You say its difficult to get a boiler engineer but this is a quiet time of years and most are sitting beside their phones waiting for at least one call in a day. There is a shortage of boiler repairs to do at the moment.

Tony

There is a shortage of boiler repairs to do at the moment.
I think Tony means Tony is short of work at the moment.

I'm not. Nor is anyone who's any good ( :LOL: snigger snigger! :LOL: )

SW8 -
Well you're a bit East but the aforementioned Flowmatic is in Queenstown Road...
I'm solid for a couple of weeks + though.

Thanks Tony and ChrisR yet again.

You are really making me want to repair the boiler now.

Tony - does that mean you'd be able to get to S Lambeth - or is that not your area? Thanks for that very clear explanation of the differences between bought-by-me or the engineer.

ChrisR - I'll try some numbers tomorrow - but you might hear from me, because the boiler is still running fine and'll work for 2 weeks I'd imagine. I'd really like someone good and who's willing to fix it rather than push a new boiler.

Thanks again everyone - VERY much appreciated.

Regards, Abe

Great boiler. Given me a few sore heads now and again, but to date have not had to replace a Flowmatic.

Flowmatic will keep on working without complaints to eventually start struggling when it does not get proper attention (proper service- which is rare- as described in the manual) Most faults are due to lack of proper service.

A bit far for me to offer to attend (some 430 miles due south)

Thanks DP.

I'll make sure this gets a proper service with the valve's replacement.

Out of curiosity, what does a service entail (only if you've a minute, I'm curious, and emphatically NOT wanting to work on it myself!)

Regards, Abe

I can get to south London if somebody has a serious problem getting something fixed but my primary coverage area is north and west London out to Watford and Reading.

Your problem is very simple and any half competent local boiler engineer will have no problem replacing the PRV and checking the EXV.

Before calling anyone you must ensure that they will offer a no-fix no-fee repair and that they clarify what they will charge as its a defined scope repair. We charge a fixed price diagnostic fee but many charge by the time taken. Replacing the PRV should only take about 30-40 minutes on site.

I would normally carry the PRV but it could help if you buy one yourself in case you end up with some cowboy who comes to replace it and says he is going to charge you for an hour going to get one ( but in reality driving round the corner to read the newspaper because he has one on the van anyway! )

I always check the gas valve settings and that the boiler is operating correctly and that heat is being efficiently transferred into the hot water on a combi.

Tony

Thanks very much Tony.

ChrisR - if you are willing to visit I'm in Richborne Terr close to 9 Elms - 07941 497004, but if not don't worry - I'll try for someone more local.

Thanks again everybody.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back