Vokera Compact 35HE

They're ok. I have one ,well a rebadged one a Sabre 35 HE, and had no problems. Pretty basic but delivers decent hot water,toasty hot house and cheap gas bills.

However there were problems with the recouperators bursting on about 35% of my installs which were a mix of Sabre 29 & 35 HEs and some Compact 29& 35 Hes which may or may not have been exclusive to me as Vokera did the three wise monkey act and the supplier I used at the time no longer sells Sabre/Compact boilers.

And,recently there is a known problem with the venturi requiring replacing after about 18 months of use.

Would I buy another Vokera? Nope.

Do yourself a favour and get one of the big three. WB,Valliant or Viessman.

Greenstar 42 CDi is excellent and will give you 17.2 ltrs of hot water an hour provided you have a decent pressure (about 4bar) and a decent flow (20ltrs p/min) of cold mains water otherwise consider a 37 CDi.

tony can i ask did you get that boiler free from a rep for your house?

No. I paid for it myself. But WB do an incentive scheme which I intend to take advantage of in the near future.

Sponsored Links
A carp combi in a 4 bed/2 bathroom house...you must be nuts.

The house deserves much better......an unvented cylinder/heat only boiler.....immersion heater backup for when the boiler packs up. The plumber is taking the easy option.

The house deserves much better......an unvented cylinder/heat only boiler.....immersion heater backup for when the boiler packs up. The plumber is taking the easy option.

Can anyone else comment on this. Will a high performance combi for a 4 bed/2 bathroom house be inadequate.

Also i know this is a difficult question but can someone give me a ball park cost estimate for the heating and hot water system for the house. The house is 1,800 sq ft and has lounge, dining room, kitchen, utility, 4 beds, 1 ensuite and a bathroom. It will have basic radiators in each room and plastic piping throughout and a compact he35 combi boiler. The house is being built in a small town in Staffordshire. The current quote I have received seems excessive. What would you look to pay for this set up in a new self build house?

i agree, if you want quality though you have to pay for it.

Sponsored Links

The current quote I have received seems excessive. What would you look to pay for this set up in a new self build house?

In what way does it seem excessive? how much was the quote?
You will get the heating you pay for, quality costs.

I agree with gas guru. Go for the unvented cylinder and system boiler. Make sure you measure the standing mains pressure and if you have about 3.5 Bar build with a 25mm incoming main with a 22mm stoptap feeding the cylinder and cold water. As for the combi option people talk about flow rates etc. The 42 CDI as with other 42 Kw combis provide 17.2 Litres min @ 35 Deg c Rise. During Dec, Jan i have measured incoming mains temps as low as 4 deg C. Add your 35 rise and your only up to 39 deg at 17 Litres. In reality during the cold monthes you will be flowing approx 13 - 14 litres min for a decent water tempreture.
Second bathroom? You wont be able to run two baths at the same time in winter with any combi that i know of.

The current quote I have received seems excessive. What would you look to pay for this set up in a new self build house?

In what way does it seem excessive? how much was the quote?
You will get the heating you pay for, quality costs.

I have been quoted £5,000 plus VAT for the hot and cold water system. This includes the following:

- Compact 35HE combi boiler
- 16 basic radiators
- plastic pipes throughout
- instalation

As mentioned my area is Staffordshire. For £5,000 plus VAT I was hoping for a much higher spec system. Or with this basic combi system I was hoping for a lower price.

Comments and sugested prices would be appreciated.

I really comment on the price as I can't see the job. the boiler is down to what you expect in hot water terms...

if you expect to run a bath and shower with someone washing the dishs then the combi will not cut it. a 35kw combi will run 1 & half taps.

42kw is 1.8 taps

storage combi 2.5 taps

unvented tank-every tap in the house if you have the water flow/pressure with a big enough tank

but if you only get 15l/m cold water flow then a 35kw combi is the best you going to do.

Just for comparison get a quote from BG, and then you'll see what being ripped off is all about. A heating system is an investment and adds value to the house price (and warmth and comfort). Get as high a spec system as you can afford. A system boiler and unvented cylinder (provided you have an adequate cold main) would be the best option but would also be alot more expensive. Always buy top branded stuff would also be my advice Vaillant, WB, Megaflo, etc etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back