Vokera Maxin 24e locking out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The boiler is about 9 years old, and is situated in a cupboard in a bedroom. It began locking out a while back, before the CH was switched on for the winter, and has gradually got worse. A corgi fitter spent a couple of hours with it, cleaning etc, but the problem is still there. It will nearly always ignite when I press the lockout button, though a small number of times it hasn't until I switched the the boiler off for a minute. Sometimes it will lockout 2 or 3 times in an hour and other times will be OK for 24 hours. Is there anything I can check myself before getting someone else in. Any recommended fitters in the Wakefield/Castleford area that might know this boiler?

Sponsored Links
Sod's law at work. We got a couple of inches of snow tonight and now the boiler won't fire up at all. Looks like doing a bit of reminiscing from the 50's and chucking some coats on the bed. :)

Sponsored Links
Snow outside should not bother the boiler.

Check the flue terminal is clear as if thats blocked then the boiler will not fire.

In London its raining now and thats helping the snow and ice to melt.

Tony

Snow outside should not bother the boiler.

Check the flue terminal is clear as if thats blocked then the boiler will not fire.

In London its raining now and thats helping the snow and ice to melt.

Tony

I wasn't blaming the snow for the boiler not working, I meant it was sod's law that the boiler didn't want to work at all when the weather suddenly got colder.

Anyway, I spoke too soon as I tried it 5 minutes later and the CH has been on since.

What could cause it to lock out through the day, yet stay lit all night?

What about all the other weeks there has been no ice or snow? :)

It's now been working OK for 13.5 hours. Go figure - as they say across the pond

That will be something else!

Unfortunately without being there that is impossible to identify but ignition/combustion related.

Even being there its often very difficult to identify unless it repeatedly faults. It can end up changing parts to see the result, ignition circuit, gas valve etc!

Tony

Unfortunately, what I am worried about is getting someone who comes and just keeps changing parts until it works OK, and me ending up with a bill that would have paid for a new boiler. I'm a mechanic and will always repair things, as long as it is economically viable, but how do I find a boiler engineer that will do the same? Last time I had problems with it, one company wanted £80 just to come and take a look. Luckily, after searching around online, it eventually cost me about £2.50 for a domestic manifold diaphragm which I fitted myself.

It just so happens it was around this time of year when it last gave problems. Merry Christmas! :)

I'm a mechanic and will always repair things, as long as it is economically viable, but how do I find a boiler engineer that will do the same? Last time I had problems with it, one company wanted £80 just to come and take a look. Luckily, after searching around online, it eventually cost me about £2.50 for a domestic manifold diaphragm which I fitted myself.

We charge more than that to diagnose a fault although it usually includes fixing the problem if thats relatively easy but obviously parts are extra.

I never charge for any part which is not required. If I had to change something on spec and it did not solve the problem then I would refit the old part again.

Charging for the inability of the engineer to find the fault should be a no-no but unfortunately many do. I would just take to new part back into stock.

Tony

Ignition PCB's can give intermittent faults on these and Mynutes, although I've also had a similar fault with the gas valve on one of these.

Think I may have both parts in my garage (from a previously de-comissioned boiler)

Ignition PCB's can give intermittent faults on these and Mynutes, although I've also had a similar fault with the gas valve on one of these.

Think I may have both parts in my garage (from a previously de-comissioned boiler)

I've read about, and previously checked the ignition PCB for dry joints. It looked OK, though that's not to say it IS ok. Anything to do with the gas side I obviously will not touch. Assuming you have the ability/qualifications and might be prepared to help, I am in the WF6 area, M62 J31.

How do you send PM's on this forum, or is it not possible?

We charge more than that to diagnose a fault although it usually includes fixing the problem if thats relatively easy but obviously parts are extra.

I never charge for any part which is not required. If I had to change something on spec and it did not solve the problem then I would refit the old part again.

Charging for the inability of the engineer to find the fault should be a no-no but unfortunately many do. I would just take to new part back into stock.

Tony

Sounds good to me, but as I already asked, how would I know I was going to get such a service? Word of mouth is the only way I suppose, but when you are getting (c)old, you tend to get desperate. I don't suppose paying an hourly rate for someone coming from London would be very economical. Or very quick with the weather as it is at the moment. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back