VW Polo Tailgate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The tailgate has jammed shut on our 2007 VW Polo, there is a slot inside with a manual opening mechanism but this is not working. The electrics sound all OK and it seems to be a mechanical problem. As I cannot open the tailgate I cannot remove the plastic cover to access the lock. Am I going to have to cut a panel out of the tailgate plastic panel in order to access the lock mechanism?

Sponsored Links
Often enough you have to wriggle into the boot space after folding the rear seats down.
There should be a catch that you can release with a screwdriver which should open the hatch.....if it’s awkward, have someone press the tailgate down as you poke the catch- this takes the load off the lock.
If you get the tailgate open eventually, the lock is accessible with the plastic card removed.
John

Possibly , but you should be able to access enough of the lock mechanism by putting the back seats down and crawling in to look closely.

Should just need to release 1 part of the latch for it to open and give you access. Might need a few screwdrivers, levers, pliers to prod and poke and pull

I remember doing a Skoda one, the lever you had to shift was plastic coated in red......2005 model.
John

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies, I have repeatedly tried the release catch inside the boot space but it does not seem to connect to the lock mechanism anymore, this is I think part of the problem, it feels as though some part of the mechanical linkage has fallen apart. The plastic panel covering the tailgate cannot be removed while the tailgate is shut consequently I can see no way of getting access to the lock mechanism other than to sacrifice the plastic panel covering the tailgate?

If you can see the hook type part of the latch (boot side) and a pin that's in it (tailgate side), you just need to release the latch part to separate it and get access to find the overall issue.

If you can't identify the trigger part to do it, just push and poke with screwdrivers etc at the bits you can see. It will open.

I have now cut an access panel in the tailgate trim and have full access to the lock and electrics from inside the boot. However, this has been of no help, the lock is solid jammed shut and I cannot make it open. To remove the lock/actuator you need the tailgate open, which i cannot do. However hard I try I cannot manually open the lock, not can I find any way of removing the lock?
Any thoughts? or is this now a garage job?

Are you able to access any bolts or screws that hold either the lock to the tailgate or latch to the bodywork?
John :)

Could you rig up 12 volt supply direct to the lock solenoid? Sounds as if the electrics are not activating? You need to get someone to push the tailgate to take the pressure off the lock whilst you are attempting to do whatever you need to free it from inside.

As a last resort what about an auto locksmith or the dealers?

Sponsored Links
Back