Vynil Tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a suspended wooden bathroom and bedroom floor. I want to furnish the bathroom with vinyl tiles. Do I need to waterproof the wooden floor and do one get a vinyl tile thicker than 2mm. I do not want to use ceramic as this will crack between the joist with movement or weight.

Sponsored Links
Ceramic tiles can be laid onto a suspended floor with the right preparation & using good quality products but if you really want vinyl, I would consider a good quality floor covering rather than tiles. It will look much better & there is no possibility of water getting between the tile joints into the floor underneath.

Not sure why you wan't them thicker than 2mm though :confused:

Thanks Richard. I would like to cover with ceramics, but thought that vynil would be better considering movement and breakages. I do not want to incur more cost in the long run. I am prepared to spend now on a medium which will last and has a good finish. I came across some advice under the topic "Tiling onto wood". Will definately look onto this.
Cheers

Sponsored Links
I tiled the floor of a large upstairs bathroom a year ago & no sign of any problems so far. Older properties, like mine, tend to have oversized joists so the suspended floors rarely flex much but if the floor flexes when you walk on it, it will require additional support. I removed the original floorboards to prevent a large step up at the door & laid 22mm exterior grade (waterproof) ply, screwed to the joists every 200mm. Lay the ply so that joins are supported down the centre of a joist one way & support edges in the other direction with stout noggins between the joists if there is any chance of flexing during use; I didn’t bother under the bath or around the extreme edge of the wall. When tiling, use only good quality trade products, the DIY stuff isn’t really up to it. I used BAL flexible tile cement & flexible wide joint grout, its expensive stuff but really the only way to ensure it won’t all crack up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back