Wall fixtures in new build house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Apologies if there is a more appropriate place for this, first time poster!!

I'm not amazing at diy but can do usual bits and pieces around the house. I'm having trouble however with standard wall fixtures around our house. We live in a new build, 3 years old so most of the walls are plasterboard (I think!!) Standard cheap and easy type thing that you get in most new builds.

The problem I have is with fixtures such as toilet roll holders, curtain tie back hooks etc. I have been using plasterboard type rawlplugs but they still seem to work loose.

What would people suggest as a better option? I've been looking at the self drill style fittings that you can get in nylon or metal - would these be more appropriate? Most aren't for supporting heavy items, just bog standard bits and pieces.

Many thanks

Matt

Sponsored Links
If you mean this type of self drilling fixing...

drme.jpg

Then, no, don't switch to these, they are awful. They chew up the plasterboard too much and are loose immediately! Switch to the type that expand behind the plasterboard like these...

MSA_Plasterboard_cmyk.jpg

They are much, much stronger and more reliable. Also, buy the setting tool to go with it if you have not used these before or they can rotate and chew the plasterboard before the the back has scrunched up enough to 'bite' the plasterboard. Once they have bitten they are very secure. If you have brass coloured fittings say, you can just buy ordinary brass machine screws with whatever head shape/diameter you want to suit your fittings. The ones I use are an M5 thread.

HTH

Gaz :)

A setting tool like this is what you want...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231605326675

...as it pulls out in a straight line perpendicular to the wall.

This other type can only pull out in an arc of course, which is not best. You might as well just use a claw hammer to set them if yanking them at an angle will suffice!!

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
If you mean this type of self drilling fixing...

drme.jpg

Then, no, don't switch to these, they are awful. They chew up the plasterboard too much and are loose immediately! Switch to the type that expand behind the plasterboard like these...
I used these plenty of times in a new build, they never worked loose and are absolutely fine for most low weight fixtures. They work very well everywhere except if you have dot and dab exterior walls and the cavity is not that big. But then normally you can just break off a bit of the end to get them in deeper or if the blocks are weak as they often are in new builds they will just gauge a bit out the blockwork as you screw them in.

What I don't like about these is how you ever remove them.

Both types can be used but the expanding type have more limited uses as they accept only one type of screw.The plastic screw-in type are more forgiving and accept a wide variety of screw sizes.They also come in two sizes. Neither type can be used very close together.

What I don't like about these is how you ever remove them.
I may have occasion to use some of these, but I hadn't thought about having to remove them.
Of course, that situation may arise, so I'd appreciate some advice.
If removal is necessary, would it be possible to just unscrew the bolt? I am assuming that the expanding part would not be removable, but that it would just drop down behind the board. Is that the case and, if so, would there be any problem?

Thanks for all the advice everyone. Few mixed opinions but certainly means I need to stop using the crap little rawlplugs that are working loose!!

With regards to removing the anchors I found this: http://www.familyhandyman.com/drywall/repair/how-to-remove-a-hollow-wall-anchor/view-all

Obviously I've not used these before so don't know if it would be as easy as he makes out but thought I'd share it.

If I do get a tool for placing anchors (seems like people think this is a good idea?) do they accept different sizes of anchors for hanging different items?

Thanks again

Matt

A setting tool like this is what you want...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231605326675

...as it pulls out in a straight line perpendicular to the wall.

This other type can only pull out in an arc of course, which is not best. You might as well just use a claw hammer to set them if yanking them at an angle will suffice!!

Why do you need a setting tool? You just screw the screw in before you hang your fixing and it binds up on itself. At least they do for me.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Why do you need a setting tool?

Because it's much easier to get a good fixing with NO risk of it going wrong and therefore ruining the wall in exactly the place you wanted. The OP says he is "not amazing at diy", so I was giving him the best advise I could to suit his needs.

They can start to slip clockwise as you are just beginning to tighten them up, long before they clench up tight. I mean when the screw has only just started to take up tension as it needs to overcome the initial force of bending out the wings from their straight position. The friction between the screw head, washer and flange can only cause a rotational force on the fixing, risking it to start to rotate. If the wall is skimmed, then the sharp prongs may be mostly sat in plaster, rather than biting into the paper of the plasterboard, so again, more likely to start to rotate. The ones I have recommend using a 10mm masonry drill (measure the head of a masonry drill with calipers, it'll be larger than stated), I ignore that and use a 9.5mm HSS drill, much cleaner hole and better fixing, reducing the chance of the fixing rotating. I guess you could grease the screw head, washer and flange to reduce the chance of it rotating? Or, as long as the fitting has more than one hole, screw through the fitting to stop it rotating, assuming the screws are long enough to reach before the fixing has been clenched up. I, as you do also, like to clench up the fixings before attaching the fitting though, just to be sure eveything is OK.

In other words freddymercurystwin, what I'm getting at is, there are SO many variables/possible problems for just using a simple plasterboard fixing. For the average diy-er or beginner... just buy the setting tool and be done with it!!!!! (y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back