Wall fixtures in new build house

Thanks for all the advice everyone. Few mixed opinions but certainly means I need to stop using the crap little rawlplugs that are working loose!!

With regards to removing the anchors I found this: http://www.familyhandyman.com/drywall/repair/how-to-remove-a-hollow-wall-anchor/view-all

Obviously I've not used these before so don't know if it would be as easy as he makes out but thought I'd share it.

If I do get a tool for placing anchors (seems like people think this is a good idea?) do they accept different sizes of anchors for hanging different items?

Thanks again

Matt
The link is a US site , the plug shown is nylon, you can can simply unscrew wall plug unless it's the metal type fixed with setting tool which leave a large hole .

Sponsored Links
If only we could still build houses. :(
We can its just that few people can afford to buy them.

I have been in houses where the owners have paid 400 - 500 k but the handrails and curtain poles are always loose because the walls are made of plasterboard. If I was spending that much money, I would expect a solid wall with proper plaster on it. Our old house which was worth half that amount was built in the sixties and had block internal walls which was fine.

In other words freddymercurystwin, what I'm getting at is, there are SO many variables/possible problems for just using a simple plasterboard fixing. For the average diy-er or beginner... just buy the setting tool and be done with it!!!!! (y)
Too right. "Curly-whirly" (Redi-Driva) type wall plugs might be removeable, but i find that they can start spinning in the PB when you install them (especially in thinner PB) and their load-bearing capacity is minimal compared to the umbrella-type. The setting tool for umbrella-type costs peanuts to buy and will repay its cost many times over in reduced frustration and failed fixing installations.

I have been in houses where the owners have paid 400 - 500 k but the handrails and curtain poles are always loose because the walls are made of plasterboard. If I was spending that much money, I would expect a solid wall with proper plaster on it.
That's just plinn shoddy, cheapskate building. TBH you don't need a block or brickwork wall behind the PB, but as a minimum you do need at least 12mm (better still 18mm) plywood pattresses let in between the studs. This is still common practice on many commercial builds (restaurants, hotels, schools, offices, etc) for radiators, WCs (e.g. for toilet roll holders, sinks, etc) but domestic housebuilders seem completely unaware of the need for it. Priceless!

...you can can simply unscrew wall plug unless it's the metal type fixed with setting tool which leave a large hole .
It's true that umbrella fixings can leave a 10 to 20mm hole, but it is fillable, and in any case when you remove a "curly-whirly" they also leave a large hole......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back