Wall hung toliet – bad idea?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So went to a plumbing shop today to sort out a few rads etc and whilst I was there I asked about wall hung loos only to be warned off them. I was told that however you fit them, after a year or two they get a little movement which causes them to damage whatever they are hung off and the only way to fix it is to take the loo off the wall and redo it. This guy said the movement caused his tiles to lift and crack and he said it was a nightmare.

So the question is, has anyone had a similar experience or successfully wall hung a toilet and knows it's still as good as the day it was fitted several years later?

Sponsored Links
Was the guy in the shop a big fat daddy-o? Or did he just use red wall plugs?

Arn't these normally fixed to some sort of concealed metal frame?

I admit, most hotels are always having to redo their toilets. Er, not!

Depends on how well you fix them in the first place - ideally one forks out for the proper metal stands.

So, matey boy may be talking from some experience. Personally I've not come across one that's more problematic than any other fixed fitting, be it in the bathroom, kitchen, or wherever.

this guy said he got the proper metal frame and fixed it perfectly but still had a problem. I know the theory is fine but is anyone living with one at the moment and if so for how long?

Sponsored Links
fitted a couple of wall hung bogs for a relative, they came with (extra cost) a set of mahossive brackets. Not joking real heavy duty like scaffold. You could jump up and down on these things and they would not budge. They were bolted (big f**kers) to the joists and wall. The pan would bust before they give out.

fitted a couple of wall hung bogs for a relative, they came with (extra cost) a set of mahossive brackets. Not joking real heavy duty like scaffold. You could jump up and down on these things and they would not budge. They were bolted (big f**kers) to the joists and wall. The pan would bust before they give out.
... or some big fat fooker from a plumbing shop had his number two's ;)

I know of a couple fitted 5/6 years ago with no reported problems.

I visited someone in hospital a while ago, and I paid more attention to the wall mounted pan and other sanitary ware, than I did the person I was visiting :oops: The backing was a melamine board with looked quite nice with the rest of the installation. Pan was solid too

ok, so people think this guy is mental then? I had my heart set on wall hung but am worried now. I was going to make massive timber frame for it fixed floor to ceiling but am thinking better of it.

I've a wall hung pan in my bathroom, used a Dudley frame and fixed it the wall and floor behind the pan with 3/4" ply in front for the tiles and the pan and had no real problems with it except for one tile cracking under the pan due to a bit of flex in the ply when the pan was first used. I tightened up the bolts a bit more and it's been fine now for two years.

Years ago I did work on a hospital job and all of the pans and basins were wall hung, the pans were hung on Gorbel brackets bolted to the floor with M12 rawlbolts and there were no problems. I did try to scource and buy Gorbel brackets fro my own pan but they were almost as expensive as the Dudley set up which came with a concealed cistern too.

I would say though that the wall hung pans are quite a bit higher than normal pans off the floor, think the outlet is about 11" compared to 7" for a normal WC so if your a bit short in the leg dept then it can feel a bit odd and sitting on a normal pan after using the wall hung also feels a bit too low down.

http://www.thomasdudley.co.uk/frames.asp

I have been fitting wall hung WC Pans for over 15 years, never had a single call back. Provided they are installed properly there are no problems whatsoever.

I recommend the Geberit/Grohe Frame and use Aquapanel to clad it, with self tapping screws drilled into the frame, it's never gonna come away.

A question for "Bathstyle" on the above topic. I am in the process of installing a Geberit Duofix system. What is;
Aquapanel?
Is it better than plywood?
Where can I get it?
When mounting the WC on the two fixed rods, is there meant to be a protective plastic sleeve over these threaded rods to protect the ceramic from the metal?
Do you mean screwing the aquapanel directly onto the blue Geberit frame with self tappers?

Many thanks for your time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back