Wall Panelling/Architrave Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd like to put some tongue & groove wood on my hallway walls - I've done this in another room by first fixing stripwood to the walls, then pinning the planks to the stripwood. However, the thinnest I can get using this option is about 14mm (stripwood/planks being 7mm each) - the current architrave is rounded at the outer edges, so wouldn't tie in well with this set up (plus I'd probably want a heavier panelling in the hallway).

So, the way I see it, I'd have to replace all the current architrave with Ogee and put the square edge to the outsides. Or are there any other options for panelling or finishing with the existing architrave?

Sponsored Links
Maybe worth looking at 9mm MDF T&G sheet. When painted the better stuff looks like T&G and it can be GripFilled ("glued") to the existing walls, sometimes it's even possible to leave the original skirting in.

You can glue t&g to the wall but a slow process.
I've done that job a couple of times with one of those pressurised contact adhesive spray tank jobbies - but that's not a DIY approach. Only works where the walls are in good condition, but really fast. Possibly water-based contact adhesive and paint roller instead?

Sponsored Links
I used foam adhesive in conjunction with hot glue gun, hot glue give instant fix and foam increases hold after about 20 mins.

Thanks, I thought that might be possible - I knew real wood wasn't suitable for direct fixing due to expansion but figured the pre-fab panels might be ok (have even got a hot glue gun too). Still not sure how the panel would sit/be finished against the rounded edge of the architrave though...

Still not sure how the panel would sit/be finished against the rounded edge of the architrave though...
If the architrave sticks out more than 9mm then couldn't you bevel the back edge of the MDF panelling so it laps onto the curved architrave snugly?

Thanks Gerry, yes I think that should work ok. Only quandary now is how to work in the dado at the top - if going for something with a square edge at the bottom (e.g. Belgravia architrave looks similar), I don't see how the joining edge could be blended running perpendicular to the current architrave?

If you can get the architraves off in decent condition, pack behind by your paneling thickness, then re-fix them.

Only quandary now is how to work in the dado at the top - if going for something with a square edge at the bottom (e.g. Belgravia architrave looks similar), I don't see how the joining edge could be blended running perpendicular to the current architrave?
It should be mitre-returned onto the architrave. See: http://www.thejoyofmoldings.com/returning-chair-rail-top-door-window-trim/
return-chair-rail-on-door-trim.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back