Wall plate dpc line

Yes. And you may like to stagger them, one above and one below for alternate fixings if the timber is deep enough.

If the wall below DPC is susceptible to being damp (most wont be if internal and dry for many years), then pack the plate out on plastic packers (5mm or so)to keep it off the wall.

Perfect, that's the confirmation I was looking for ;)

I'll be ordering 8x2 c24 timber for the joists, I'll order 9x2 instead for the wall plates which will give me more space to stagger the fixings

Is that ok?

Sponsored Links
Perfect, that's the confirmation I was looking for ;)

I'll be ordering 8x2 c24 timber for the joists, I'll order 9x2 instead for the wall plates which will give me more space to stagger the fixings

Is that ok?
No just get the same as the joists, that's enough. The staggering will be at 1/3 the depth.

No just get the same as the joists, that's enough. The staggering will be at 1/3 the depth.

Sure will do, the building control officer stated to use treated tanalised timber

I've been to my local builders yard who said as long as it's c24 grade that is sufficient, it does not need to be treated

Is this correct? Or should i insist on it being treated?

You should always use treated for this type of work.

Also be sure that you actually need c24. That must be a wide span for a garage. What I tend to do is use a smaller section and then just drop some 4x2 timbers down as props half way or something like that.

Sponsored Links
You should always use treated for this type of work.

Also be sure that you actually need c24. That must be a wide span for a garage. What I tend to do is use a smaller section and then just drop some 4x2 timbers down as props half way or something like that.

Ok I'll insist on it being treated, the size is 3.60 x 4.80

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back