wall plug loose

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One of my curtain track brackets has become loose, the wall plug just keeps popping out ,is there a product that i can buy to keep the plug from pulling out.

Sponsored Links
what are you fixing to? brick? plasterboard? wood?

if it's brick, then pack the hole with a matchstick, add a bit of glue too? (make sure you have the right size plug for the hole though)

for plasterboard, you can get allsorts of collapsable plugs..... just google screwfix for plasterboard plugs.....

if it's wood, then use a bigger screw.

also, consider moving the original fitting to the timber strut and fix to that, it'll be loads stronger..

Matchstick, pah! it's time to give up those 1950's practices and move into the 1990's

Take out the screw and plasplug. Check the depth of the hole goes at least an inch into brick or block (ignore the paster) and that the plasplug and screw will go right in. You may need a longer screw than the one that came with the rail. I reckon 40mm at least. I always use brown plugs as they are bigger and stronger than the red ones, some of which are from a harder plastic which can crack. You may need to redrill the hole if it is too shallow.

Clean out the dust and grit from the hole (I like to squirt it out with water from a sprayer or a fairy liquid bottle)

Put the nozzle of a no-more-nails or cheaper equivalent deep into the hole, so it fills from the back with no air bubble. Fill it as you slowly withdraw the nozzle. You can get a cheap version from Tesco or Wilkinson for about a pound, and will be adequate for screwholes.

Push the Plasplug into the soft adhesive (put a screw into the plug by a couple of turns to use as a handle) and push it slightly below the surface of the surrounding plaster

smooth off the adhesive with a wet finger

Leave it to harden overnight

Do any other screws that are not fully firm at the same time.

The next day, drive in your screw. The Plasplug will be firmly held, it will not turn, come loose, or pull out.

pahh were are into the 90s :D

place the plug or a new one into the hole take a 1/4 1/2 or whole new plug and tap into the centre off the plug as size permits
if you cant get a half width plug in put in a1/4 then try another 1/4 until tight then insert the screw

Sponsored Links
nomorenails in the hole is a better solution.

it's the best new DIY tip I've learned in 20 years.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back