wall starter bracket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i,m going to start my dwarf wall soon as the weather permits and not sure on a couple of things so i hope somebody can put me straight.
1 do i fix the wall starter brackets above or below the DPC?
2 do i need a DPC behind the brackets themselves?
3 the wall will have a brick outer skin and thermalite blocks for the inner
would a 50mm cavity be permitable if so which insulation would suit.?

sorry if some of these questions seem straight forward but its my first
go at a cavity wall

Sponsored Links
1) Above.
2) No, but the dpc should be at the same height as the one in the existing wall. Leave small gap and mastic it (polysulphide) or expanding foam and point.
3) Dwarf wall? Conservatory? No real point in insulating at all, no real point in using wall starters tbh, just a few frame ties would do.

also i forgot to mention i have to bridge a pipe would a 70mm concrete lintel be strong enough to support the wall or should i go for a 140mm?

Sponsored Links
yes its a 600mm dwarf wall for a conservatory.

Hey Baggeer
I go along with the Duke except for item 3.
The bit of heat loss that you will save with a 50mm insulated cavity in dwarf wall will be very minute compared to the vast heat loss through glass and roof. However saying that, I would still put some 50mm cavity batts in, as when you are sat out there in November shivering, the thought that you have insulated the cavity may make you feel a bit warmer.
Not trying to be funny fellow when I say that as it is a proven fact that trying to heat a small conservatory up to an acceptable level will double the energy used in a traditional 3 bed semi.
As Duke says use two or three frame cramps to both skins of cav wall to tie in.
70mm concrete lintel will take anything that you throw at it in what you are doing.
old un.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back