wall ties

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just wondering what your thought are regarding wall ties? is it 100% necessary to use tie in wall connector kit when attching a new wall to a existing wall.

Sponsored Links
Depends how high the wall is and if you want it to stay there.
I don't believe there are any building regulations stating they must be used, only if they are used the material they are made of is suitable for the environment.
I think you would be stupid if you hadn't used them or a suitable alternative as a starter kit.

i would defo be using them in between the cavity's but aint to sure if its required where the new wall meets the old. (The long metal brackets which have ties attached to it)

Required or not required, 'you would be wise to' is what PBOD was getting at.

A couple of sets @ £30 buys your wall a lot of stability.

Sponsored Links
if i hadnt known about wall ties etc i would have thought sand cement mix was enough, but i stress im on here to learn. and im by no means a proffessional.

but aint to sure if its required where the new wall meets the old. (The long metal brackets which have ties attached to it)
Those are the ones you want, known as "wall starter kits"
You can get them from screw fix for less than £14 a pair Multi-Starter-Kit
if i hadnt known about wall ties etc i would have thought sand cement mix was enough, but i stress im on here to learn. and im by no means a proffessional.
Well this is one of your lessons, then.
I strongly recommend when building a new wall to an existing wall that you use a system to tie the leafs in, if it is a cavity wall use the kit on both leafs.
The normal procedure is to space the ties out on the channel at 225mm centres, this will allow you to tie in one course of standard concrete block or 3 course of a standard brick.
Also install it above the DPC.

Years ago extensions were toothed in to the existing. This meant following the existing gauge with odd sized joints. It got even worse when the trade went metric.
Setting the extension back from the main slightly and using starter kits makes life much easier than toothing in which often looked a mess.

Thanks for the reply's guy, so the starter kit is a must then.
is the tie kit only afixed above the dpc? what about the few course of bricks blocks below dpc, dont they need the ties?

The starter kit is installed above the DPC.
You will get away with not having any ties in the course work below the DPC.

Thankyou, another question and this will sound dumb so plz bare with me,
what tips if any can you give if any for toothing brickwork?
I want to tooth 1 of the two wall as it will be seen head on and good tooth brick look:cool: , what the best way to set off below dpc so im in gauge with the existing brickwork?

excuse me for sounding dumb......

Toothing can look really crap unless the bricks are exactly the same and all the perp joints in the existing wall all line up nicely and the gauge is even. Otherwise you end up with a dodgy abutment with uneven bed joints and tiny pieces of brick or random massive perp joints at the junction

If there is any chance of movement and longer term settlement then ties and a flexible joint will accommodate this, whereas toothed work will crack

well said Woody, Totally agree, ive seen some really nasty toothing toothed work. but at the same time ive seen some really nice toothed work and nothing beats good looking toothed work :mrgreen:

It all comes with experiance i know but what would be the best advice and tips for joint toothing, how can a person be sure below ground level that the brick courses will line up for toothing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back