Wall Vent - Can it be replaced?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We've recently moved house, into one that was built in the 50s and from the state of some of it hasn't been touched since!

Apart from i should add - cavity wall insulation, and double glazing ;)

We're about to kick on with some of the works on it, and we have two of these vents (see below) in an external wall where the stairs are.. these are incredibly flimsy but mainly large (bigger than a dinner plate) that are basically a whole to the outside world..

2IV7ehY.jpg

What i want to know is..

1. What on earth are they for, and why does a hall way need so much ventilation?
2. Can they be blocked up, as they let a lot of heat escape? - Who should i talk to re: this, assume builder?
3. If not blocked up, can a more efficient vent be placed over them in order keep heat in better?
4. If they are / were blocked up, is there a ventilation mechanism that is more modern that can be implemented?

Thanks,

Chris

Sponsored Links
What i want to know is..

1. What on earth are they for, and why does a hall way need so much ventilation?
There are number of reason or possibilities.
In older houses vents were installed to prevent musty smells, also if open fired or gas appliance where installed then they would be used to create free air for combustion and air change purposes. There is also a possibility the vents have been formed when gas wall heaters have been removed, instead of infilling the hole.

2. Can they be blocked up, as they let a lot of heat escape? - Who should i talk to re: this, assume builder?
If you are having new central heating and the wall cavity insulated and they are not required to provide free air for gas appliances, then yes they can be blocked up. A builder as you quite rightly say would be best person to approach.

3. If not blocked up, can a more efficient vent be placed over them in order keep heat in better?
As above, they can be blocked up

4. If they are / were blocked up, is there a ventilation mechanism that is more modern that can be implemented?
I don't think you will require ventilation.

Sponsored Links
@PrenticeBoyofDerry - excellent, these were all the answers i was hoping for... based on what i hope are sensible assumptions re: their original use that you seem to have come to the same conclusion on.

i shall commence the telephoning of builders for quotes... fingers crossed only a few hundred squids.

Ty.

In my parents 1930s semi, the area under the stairs was the larder and had these vents with a zinc mesh over them.
Frank

In my parents 1930s semi, the area under the stairs was the larder and had these vents with a zinc mesh over them.
Frank

yeah we also have this too (in the kitchen which kind of back onto an 'under-the-stairs' bit)

when we refit the kitchen that is going to turn back into a larder, but a funky modern one without the massive vent ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back