Wallpaper help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would it be possible to wallpaper over existing anaglpta , I have tried painting an area but the paper is wrinkling when I paint ,it seems to be too thin to take the paint .
I’m really loathe to go about the stripping of this paper it’s about a foot wide just above a picture rail TIA

Sponsored Links
Problem is, the paste on the new paper will probably make the old paper wrinkle too. It does sound like it would come off fairly easy with a few soaks of water

Just scrape the knobbly bits of with a scraper and leave to soak - it should come off faitly easily.

The fact it wrinkles when you paint it suggests it will come off quite easily

Thank you both for replies
Its wider than a foot that was just an estimate ,im loath to strip it as it joins the ceiling paper , yes it would definitely strip of easily but I don't have a blade of a type that I could cut it evenenly to separate it from the ceiling paper which is the same . And I certainly don't want to strip the ceiling and replace with new paper that would require a professional, costing mega buck's I'm.sure

Sponsored Links
You can get a blade that will cut the ceiling edge from poundland. But most likely the wallpaper will be lying on top of the ceiling edge and when wet will pull off. Just a slight pull around the ceiling edge with a cheap plastic blade will sort it.

Thanks, I'm a 2.5 hr ferry trip + 1.30 hr bus trip away from.a Poundland, the decorators shops here don't even know what a pkt of size is. the thought of having to redo the whole ceiling + the part between the picture rail & ceiling is scary. Thanks for replies .

If the wrinkles disappear once the paint has dried, another alternative would be to use something to stop the water in the emulsion from reactivating the glue.

Oil based undercoat would work. Personally, I would go with a shellac based paint as a basecoat, eg Zinsser Bin. It dries much faster.

Apropos size.

I haven't (edit) seen proper old school size for years (the smelly stuff that you mixed with warm water).

I recently noticed that Solvite wallpaper paste (packets) has stopped giving the size/water ratio. I guess they want people to buy the dedicated product. Bartoline however still say that you mix 8 pints to one sachet for size.

Last edited:
Apropos size.

I have seen proper old school size for years (the smelly stuff that you mixed with warm water).

I recently noticed that Solvite wallpaper paste (packets) has stopped giving the size/water ratio. I guess they want people to buy the dedicated product. Bartoline however still say that you mix 8 pints to one sachet for size.
I really can't stand mixing up paste but the adhesive used for Wallrock Dampstop was the dogs b....x - no messin' around and it gave plenty of slip to align wallpaper over the surface very smoothly. Can you use that instead of paste in all-purpose situations, or are there times when paste is best?

Hi , the wrinkles are not flattening.at all and remain like a bubble/wrinkle and are very thin the paper is almost like tissue paper in these wrinkles
I can't take a photo of it either because it's so white with the new paint on it, doesn't show what I'm trying to describe
If there was coving between the ceiling and picture rail I could get away with using a different paper and would buy a few rolls but the ceiling slopes one wall because of roof .
It's a no win situ looks like a decorators job that I can't really afford to get ceiling and the gap between that and the picture rail done
Thanks all

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back