Wallpapering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

This wall had wall paper on, but it was scraped off and ended up marked (See Picture) Then it was just painted over in silk..

I'm planning on wallpapering it again, I know I'll have to sand the silk down.. But will the wall paper be okay the way the wall is and around the sockets?

TIA

Attachments

• IMG20240116183239.jpg
    IMG20240116183239.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG20240116183249.jpg
    IMG20240116183249.jpg
    236.7 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG20240116183252.jpg
    IMG20240116183252.jpg
    223.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG20240116183254.jpg
    IMG20240116183254.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG20240116183306.jpg
    IMG20240116183306.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG20240116183313.jpg
    IMG20240116183313.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 23
Sponsored Links
High spots will be more of an issue than the gouges.

Deep gouges may need filling.

If the new wallpaper is particular thin, you could line the walls first (with 1000- 1200 grade lining paper).

Strictly speaking, sanding the silk is not necessary. You, can, for example, paper over glass. However in your case, you have a number of high spots that will need sanding back.

High spots will be more of an issue than the gouges.

Deep gouges may need filling.

If the new wallpaper is particular thin, you could line the walls first (with 1000- 1200 grade lining paper).

Strictly speaking, sanding the silk is not necessary. You, can, for example, paper over glass. However in your case, you have a number of high spots that will need sanding back.

I would prefer not to line if I can get away with it

So you think sand where needed & fill where needed and crack on ( If the wall paper is thick enough) Would you sizing paste the wall?

I would prefer not to line if I can get away with it

So you think sand where needed & fill where needed and crack on ( If the wall paper is thick enough) Would you sizing paste the wall?

Anywhere that you fill will need to be sized to reduce the level of suction. Vinyl silk is not porous and does not need sizing. If there are only small areas of filler, I just use full fat paste rather than size.

It may however be prudent to paste where the joins are going to be. It will compensate for the possibility of too little paste being used on the paper's edges.

I would recommend that you use a roller rather than a brush to apply the paste. It is much faster and gives an even coverage. I mix up the paste in a paint scuttle.

Are you using a paste the wall paper or regular paste the paper wallpaper? If the former, paste any filler and let it dry before you start to paper.

Sponsored Links
Anywhere that you fill will need to be sized to reduce the level of suction. Vinyl silk is not porous and does not need sizing. If there are only small areas of filler, I just use full fat paste rather than size.

It may however be prudent to paste where the joins are going to be. It will compensate for the possibility of too little paste being used on the paper's edges.

I would recommend that you use a roller rather than a brush to apply the paste. It is much faster and gives an even coverage. I mix up the paste in a paint scuttle.

Are you using a paste the wall paper or regular paste the paper wallpaper? If the former, paste any filler and let it dry before you start to paper.
Paste the wall paper probably..

Brilliant.. thank you for the great advice !

Paste the wall paper probably..

Brilliant.. thank you for the great advice !

I do like paste the wall papers, they have a woven backing- meaning that they will not expand when wet.. When working with them, I paste the top and bottom edges to make the paper more pliable. I use a "vinyl smoother" to flatten them and to tuck the paper up to the ceiling and down to the skirting and then use 9mm snap off blades to trim them as I hold a wide filling knife to run the knife against.

As the blade becomes blunt, snap off the blunt section. The black Olfa blades are incredibly sharp.

I only use scissors for internal corners that are overlapped and curves or sockets (tucking the excess behind the face plate- best to do that with the power turned off).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back