Wallpaper paste, paper and MDF!?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For a project at university I am constructing a 6m long freestanding partition from MDF that I intend to cover with hundreds of paper prints.

I have been advised to use wallpaper paste to stick the prints to the mdf. Just wondered if anyone knows whether this could cause the mdf boards to bow and/or whether i should prime the boards with something?

Any other tips or advise is greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Yes I would seal both sides.
Years ago I boarded over a fireplace with chipboard, then wallpapered with vinyl after a few days the wall looked pregnant!:eek:
It finally went back more or less flat but it took weeks as the moisture could not dry out through the vinyl paper.

Lots of MDF primers out there and a top coat of your choice to really seal well.

Last edited:
As above, I would recommend that you seal the MDF. I would however suggest using clear oil based varnish rather than MDF primers which tend to be waterbased.. Varnish is cheap. Thin the first coat with about 10% white spirit. then the next day apply a "full fat" coat. The downside is that it will take longer t dry than MDF primers.

With regard to the wallpaper paste, have you checked to make sure that the water in the paste won't lead to the inks bleeding?

Difficult to advise further without a more detailed description of the structure.

Best of luck.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back