Wallpapering plywood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys ive made a corner box to cover some pipes in my livingroom and im planning to use some 6mm ply to face it off with.Is it possible to paper over ply and if so does it need to be sealed with anything and if so what would be a good product?. Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
If I'm papering plywood I generally like to use some form of oil based paint to seal it first (primer or undercoat, depending on what I've got to hand). The reason being that plywood is made from hardwood which can occasionally cause resins to stain through paper after contact with the paste (which is water based). Also, the ply can sometimes absorb the paste a bit too much causing the paper to dry out before you can finish manoeuvring it. The oil based paint will also seal any nail/pin/screw heads that you may have used which could also cause rust spots to bleed through in the future.

You can usually get paper to adhere without sealing the ply, but sealing it will stop any of the above from happening and spoiling your work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back