wallpapering tip

• Thread starter deanibusmaximus
  • Start date
D

deanibusmaximus

Hi! I am going to do a feature wall with a bold leafy pattern wallpaper that repeats every 68cm. my question is regarding the first drop.
Should I aim to get the whole pattern in right at the top of the wall, or cut into the pattern and start perhaps halfway through the pattern? Is there any rule of thumb regarding this, or is it personal preference?

the paper is '110187 persephone' if anyone wants to google it.

cheers
dean

Sponsored Links
I would treat the pattern drop is if it was a tile and cut the paper so that equal parts of a whole pattern were missing from both top and bottom. But that's Just my personal preference. A professional decorator might not agree. :) :) :)

Just had a quick look, and assuming I've got the right paper, I think I would rather try to start with the whole of the longest frond on the left hand side of the pattern at the top.
Of course, depending on where the pattern starts on each roll, this may mean wasting up to 2 foot of paper before you start. If this is the case, I would then figure out if I could still get the same amount of lengths out of a roll as if I were to start somewhere else. If I could, I would stick with that plan, but if not, I would adjust the pattern but still try to get a full frond at the top of the wall. As was mentioned in a recent thread, there is nothing worse than seeing the head chopped off a daisy. (Not quite the situation in this case, but the general principle is the same.)

At the end of the day, only you can decide which you feel looks the best/wastes less etc, but hopefully my opinion helps. ;)

useful comments. thanks. whatever i do will be carefully considered
cheeers

Sponsored Links
Just had a quick look, and assuming I've got the right paper, I think I would rather try to start with the whole of the longest frond on the left hand side of the pattern at the top.

I'm with Mr H there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back