Wallpering a disaster. What am I doing wrong?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I put some "paste the wall" wallpaper up on plasterboard and over lining paper with some blue stuff on it.

My papering in the past has been ok, this job is just awful, folds everywhere.
Pics show the wall, please help.

Attachments

• Blue and bumps.jpg
    Blue and bumps.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 323
  • bumps.jpg
    bumps.jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 320
  • terrible.jpg
    terrible.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 322
Sponsored Links
Eh? from your description and photos I can't make head nor tail of what you've done, or what you're trying to do, the photos look like partially stripped woodchip wallpaper?

The lining paper with blue stuff looks like woodchip paper with a blue vinyl silk emulsion on it . The plasterboard under looks like it's not been skimmed with plaster, just taped+jointed probably. The problem will be when you get to the paper that forms the plasterboard - if that gives up !!:( You could try using the paste to soften what's on the wall - seems to be doing that anyway, and care fully strip back to the plasterboard. Come back and tell how it goes. Then some sort of sealer to stabilize the plasterboard.

Well ohdearme, it needs stripping back to the plaster. Mist coat using some cheap matt emulsion and pva bond. Make good any blemishes that show up after the mist coat.From then on in it’s fairly simple, seal the whole room with a pva coat or size it. Line the room out and you should have the perfect finish to paint or paper on. Hope this helps.

Sponsored Links
Thank you so much. So start by stripping back to plaster and mist coat. Here we go

Certainly I will let you know, I need you !

Best

Alan

Thank you Johnny, very aptly put as I have just stopped, exhausted. I have used a steam stripper and this one wall will take a week.

Any ideas how to do it better please? What do you do?

How bigs the room? You could try wetting/ soaking all the surfaces that already have wallpaper/paint on . You can lightly gouge into the surface of the paper using the edge of your scraper to get water into the old paper. This is the hardest part of the job but is the most essential. Keep soaking and steaming it’s the only way. Sorry no shortcuts.

This is terrible news Johnny! Nevertheless I am giving it a try. How are you amusing yourself in these difficult times?

The room is 11' x 9'

Keep well and kind of you to reply promptly

Alan

Sorry Alan, just think of the amount of brownie points you will have once it’s done properly. I can tell you as an apprentice the one job you didn’t want was stripping that was before the use of stripping machines. Luxury! It will be worth it.

Dear Johnny

You are begining to make me feel veeeery slighly more optimistic. Having supper now and will be in touch. Good night

I am exhausted. As you said the hard work is worth it. Anyone else seeing this thread should know that. I am now "misting" half water, half emulsion.
Can I put lining paper over that to paint and do you think I could use paste-the-wall paste, or should I get the ordinary one?
Alan

Hi Alan, mist coat is what it says 1;6 ratio would do. Lining your wall sets you up to do exactly what you want to do with the room. Paper or paint it.

Can I put lining paper over that to paint and do you think I could use paste-the-wall paste, or should I get the ordinary one?

Paste the wall lining paper is quite a bit more expensive than the regular stuff but you don't need a pasting table and you don't need to soak the paper. One downside is that you can't stretch the paper if the walls bow slightly, meaning that you may have some visible joins.

If you do with PTW I recommend brushing some paste on to the sections of paper that meet the skirting, ceiling and adjoining walls. It helps to soften the paper so that you can push the paper into the joins prior to trimming the edges with your snap off knife and straight edge.

BTW, by far the best blades are the black Olfa ones, way sharper than standard ones.

http://www.olfacutters.co.uk/Olfa-s...-9mm-Olfa-Spare-Blade-ABB-10B-9mm-Excel-Black

Thanks, I have some PTW left over from another job, hence my question.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back