wallstar hrm restart

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
had my service done and am trying to identify why restart button needs pressing maybe twice a day over a period of say 6 hours working time? engineer replaced a couple of bits on the burner but no change since. he is now suggesting replacing pump?? it seems abit of a 'stab in the dark'? as it always fires up again when pressed and works for days without a problem sometimes?? was wondering if problem could be electrical as sometimes this seems to happen once room stat temp has been reached and itcloses down and doesnt refire when temp cools again?

Sponsored Links
This is the boiler that had not been serviced for 6 years and had pre existing problems not firing up on both ch and hw.
If you're now having to press the lock out button to restart the boiler once it's up to temp then it's likely to point to a number of causes, my 1st stop would be the solenoid coil (if the boilerman can't replicate the fault it can get frustrating trying the educated guess approach).
It could be the oil pump seizing when warming up (this often leads on to motor change too as bearings are worn). Could be as simple as a worn pump coupling.
It could be an intermittant problem with the photocell causing no voltage to coil through the control box.
Intermittant problems can be a bit of pig to diagnose at times and as I said in a previous posting a service was unlikely to fix your problems(did you go for the £40 guy or the £100 one?).
He can only suggest possible fixes if he's unable to see it locking out, if you're not confident in him you could get someone else in but they'd be in the same position - it sounds to me that he's being honest and reasonable. He could always leave the old pump with you and if it's not the cause then fit it back again ( do expect to pay the labour for this however).

oh no, he most definately is honest( he wont take any money he said til problem is solved, even for service!)
just seems like a hel of alot of needles in this haystack :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I'd let him stick with it in that case, hopefully my post has given you an idea of what his position is. I've just recently had a similar problem which turned out to be a faulty oil pump and photocell.

Sponsored Links
quick question: when burner stops burning, should orange light go out until it resumes burning again?? cos mine does for a week, then dont for a month and so on!!??

quick question: when burner stops burning, should orange light go out until it resumes burning again?? cos mine does for a week, then dont for a month and so on!!??

Are you talking about the lock out lamp on the control box here ? :confused:
Once this comes on, the burner wont attempt a restart until its been reset.
I think its worth a punt at a pump coil in the first place.
John :)

no, im talking about the orange light which lights when i turn on c/h at controls..... it is located nxt to a red light(dunno what thats for,its never on) on the boiler by temp 0'c

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back