Want a New Boiler - Question to Customers Only

MJN";p="2265225 said:
I tend to stay well clear of those that advertise on the basis that if working on the premise that those without work need to advertise the most, by implication those that advertise the least (or indeed not at all) have the most work and by virtue must do so because they really are quite good.

Although in general i do agree that word of mouth is a great way to employ i have come across many issues (my sister included) were they got screwed by an incompetant builder to the extent i had to drive 150 miles to correct some god awful plumbing, the comment above i feel is a little short sighted, for example British Gas advertise loads and have loads of business, Pimlico Plumbers advertise loads and have loads of business, Dyno Rod advertise loads and have loads of business, For me (or any plumber) to grow a successful business this could not be done by word of mouth alone. I advertise mainly on Google and Thompson Local but i do get much business from word of mouth.

Sponsored Links
PlumbGas";p="2268345 said:
I tend to stay well clear of those that advertise on the basis that if working on the premise that those without work need to advertise the most, by implication those that advertise the least (or indeed not at all) have the most work and by virtue must do so because they really are quite good.

Although in general i do agree that word of mouth is a great way to employ i have come across many issues (my sister included) were they got screwed by an incompetant builder to the extent i had to drive 150 miles to correct some god awful plumbing, the comment above i feel is a little short sighted, for example British Gas advertise loads and have loads of business, Pimlico Plumbers advertise loads and have loads of business, Dyno Rod advertise loads and have loads of business, For me (or any plumber) to grow a successful business this could not be done by word of mouth alone. I advertise mainly on Google and Thompson Local but i do get much business from word of mouth.

I can understand you venting your thoughts, but if that is the perception a potential customer has, it is up to us to take that information and take a good look at the information we provide on our ads. ;)

I would go for an installer if has the following criteria:
1) Gas safe registered
2) Provieds full address with contact numbers
3) Offers free quotation with no obligation

when he comes over to inspect and give the quote i would like him:
1) Gives me a full idea about my options, the cheap and the expensive
2) What he thinks is best and why
3) Use simple technical terms
4) Not being pushy, coz sometimes being that gives me impression that he is selling something bad and just wants my money.
5) Tells me what after sale service he offers and what if something goes wrong the next day.
6) offers a free house visit after 3 days of installation to see if everything is running smoothly.
7) leave his business card and contact.

this is the post i feel gives us most info, well done

Sponsored Links
[...] the comment above i feel is a little short sighted, for example British Gas advertise loads and have loads of business

They have no choice. If they relied on word of mouth and personal recommendation they'd be screwed. Ergo, they advertise because they have to. QED. Moreover it is futile to compare business strategy between a sole/small trader and a national giant - what works for one doesn't necessarilly work for another - and at the enterprise level it is as much about publicising a brand than anything else.

I'm not rubbishing the concept of advertising, merely highlighting that from this customer's perspective at least there are more routes to securing new business than commercial advertisements alone. I do recognise a place for them however, hence my comments about what I personally like to see in them.

Mathew

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back