Wanted: Recommended reading for WC and sink waste pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I'm dividing up our existing bathroom as we have the space, and will end up with a bathroom with bath, shower, toilet and sink, and a WC with toilet and sink. So, that's one additional toilet and one additional sink over what we have at the moment. The image below is a no-expense-spared rendering of before and after. The red lines indicate new wall, toilet and pipework...

I'm doing the work myself and want a recommendation or two on a book I can buy in order to ensure that I do it correctly. I'm after something that states what the recommended fall on a pipe should be, both soil pipes and waste water pipes, whether it is OK to tap into a soil pipe from above to drop a waste water pipe into it (with a suitable strap-on boss) and other such stuff. I'm very handy having rebuilt just about everything in the houses I've owned so a 'how do I fix a leaky tap' type book is not necessary, I'm more after something that explains the rules and regulations (but not really into reading the full building regs unless that's absolutely necessary).

If you could recommend a book or online resource I would appreciate it.

What I specifically need to find out is as follows :-

I'm plumbing a new toilet into the stack. The pipework will run across the same wall as the existing soil pipe. Should I...

(a) Insert a new boss into the stack and connect the new toilet to this. This would be at a level lower down than the existing soil pipe connected to the stack, approximately 50cm lower. As the new toilet is further from the stack, the pipe will connect lower down the existing stack. See (a) in the attached image.

(b) Run the new pipe to a boss lower down on the stack, and run the existing pipe into the new pipework. See (b) in the attached image.

So here I would effectively end up with a T (well, Y) facing upwards, with the old soil pipe falling into the top of the T (Y) on the new pipe going across the wall.

Are either of these solutions OK? If not is there another option I can consider? Note that the fall of the pipes is not correct in the image - I know it's not likely to be 30 degrees!

Many thanks for any assistance you can give me.

Morgan

Sponsored Links
Either looks as if it will work diagrammatically; if your intending to tap into the top of a horizontal soil pipe for the washbasin you may need an anti siphon trap. Here are a couple of links;
Building Regs. which you must comply with:
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/BR_PDF_ADH_2002.pdf

& a manufacturers design guides:
http://www.hunterplastics.co.uk/content/1/94/soil---waste-support.html

You should also be aware that forming a new room with a w/c is notifyable work which must comply with Building Regs. on electrics, ventillation &, under some circumstances, sound insulation if new stud walls are involved; this is in addition to the pipe work. Building Control will want to inspect the work before issuing a compliance certificate (fee involved) which you will need when you come to sell the property.

Richard - many thanks for taking the time to reply. I was blissfully unaware that I needed to adhere to building regs for this but now I have a load more reading to do! At least there's no electrics to be changed, so that's one less thing to be done. Thanks Again!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back