WARNING - Gummers Sirrus shower pumps (from Screwfix)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A word of warning about these pumps that I think needs to be spread to prevent serious consequences:

I had a leaky fitting on the shower mixer so I isolated the water supply to the pump by closing the gate valves. One gate valve evidently didn't perfectly seal off the supply and let a small flow though. This flow was sufficient to activate the pump but insufficient to keep the pump cool with the result that clouds of smoke started to issue from the pump.

Fortunately I was still in the airing cupboard, where the pump is located, when this started happening so I was able to isolate the electrical supply but I dread to think what might have happened if I had already gone back to the shower to check the leak.

I spoke to a chap named Rob at Gummers and asked him if this was a known fault. His response was that I should have ensured that the water was totally isolated (with which I obviously agreed but assured him that I thought it was) and that perhaps I might want to turn it back on and try again (with which I did not quite agree).

Apparently the manufacturer who produced these pumps for them has gone bust (not surprisingly) and Gummers hold no stock, no spares and have no interest in investigating further "because it must have passed the BSI tests".

I have no problem with buying a new shower pump (although I won't buy through Screwfix again unless they include more details of the original manufacturer) so the motive for my post is not financial. I have genuine concerns that there exists a risk to life caused by installations of this sub-standard product. I would strongly suggest that if you have one of these units you consider installing a smoke detector above it.

Sponsored Links
Thats just what I was thinking!

Always isolate a pump before working on whatever it supplies!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Absolutely agree. My preparation for any work that I undertake would naturally include isolating the components that I'm working on; in this case I was most concerned with stopping the leak first as it was running underneath the floorboards.

My concern here is what happens if the shower is not turned completely off when someone has finished using it and therefore allows a slight flow through the pump - equivalent to the quantity that was seeping through the closed gate valve?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back