Warped doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I have several internal panel doors, each as old as the house itself ( about 80 years), and most are warped, some as much as 4cm difference between top and bottom. They are made of heavy pine, and are of normal solid construction, some 3 panel, some 2 panel.
Is there a method to straighten them out? The only method I can think of is to completely dismantle the door and reassemble.
Anyone done this ?
Thanks for any help in advance.

Sponsored Links
heeelllooo lonspwi ;)
are these doors the origional doors!!!

have they been "dipped"or subject to dramatic changes in temprature recently or have they been like that for ages!!!

Hi big-all - they have been like that for ages, it doesnt looked like they have been dipped judging by the number of coats of paint. They have been warped probably for many years.

Sponsored Links
The only method I have heard off is to apply weight to the convex side at the highest point and apply steam or damp towels to one side whilst heating the other with a heat gun. I cant remember which side has the heat and which has the damp. Its a long process and can take a day or two of such treatment. Just try clamping it flat first for a couple of days with the weight on top, use a heay bag of cement or something.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back