Warranty issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I purchased on an ebay registered business a set of brand new bi-folding doors for my extension. My builder who were building the extension at the time installed the doors. Two days later the lock and debar mechanism failed completely and the door can not be closed. The manufacturer sent me a new debar mechanism but he warned me that it is a bit thicker than the other one and the gap in the door needs to be make a bit wider using a grinder. I told him that I do not have a grinder and even if I had I do not want to risk damaging the door. I suggested to get a locksmith but he said that he is only prepared to spend £100 max “as a gesture of good will” on the locksmith, his argument: the warranty is only on materials. I have called a couple of locksmiths and they do not seem very keen to grind the door’s gap and told me to contact the manufacturer.

I am a bit unsure of my rights here. Any views?

Sponsored Links
You are entitled to a repair, or replacement, at the manufacturer's cost. Nothing to do with a "goodwill gesture", it's your right under the Consumer Rights Act 2015.

It might be worthwhile getting phoning Citizens Advice consumer helpline on 03454 04 05 06 and asking their advice.

If it was a buy it now purchase, then the same consumer protections apply as if buying from a shop. (Consumer rights act if purchased after October 2015. Sale of goods act if before) Additionally (although not applicable in this case) the distance selling regulations apply.
Being as it's a door though and difficult to return as it is already fitted, the supplier could probably thought as being reasonable in that they have supplied a replacement mechanism and offering some money to fit the new mechanism.
Can I assume that these are metal framed doors if they are talking about taking a grinder to them? If so why not seek out a local metal fabrication firm? Perhaps they could quote for the modification. At least that would give you an idea of the actual cost of the modification done properly. Even if it costs a bit more that the £100 offered, it is probably worth sucking it up to avoid the hassle of removing them and returning the lost and then trying to get a refund of the doors and compensation for all your time and effort which you would be entitled to)

good luck.

Sponsored Links
You are entitled to a repair, or replacement, at the manufacturer's cost. Nothing to do with a "goodwill gesture", it's your right under the Consumer Rights Act 2015.

It might be worthwhile getting phoning Citizens Advice consumer helpline on 03454 04 05 06 and asking their advice.

Not strictly true your rights are against the seller of the goods. Only if the goods were sold direct by the manufacturer do you have a claim against them.

But as said start an eBay dispute.

Not strictly true your rights are against the seller of the goods. Only if the goods were sold direct by the manufacturer do you have a claim against them.
You are, of course, correct. Don't know why I wrote manufacturer.

Thanks all for your comments. The frame is aliminium so i need a metal fitter since the locksmiths I have contacted do not want to have anything to do.
Regards

You have spent a lot of money on doors which are faulty and you are prepared to pay someone to carry out a bodged repair?

How much time between purchase and fitting?
As previously intimated, your rights are against the seller, not the maker.

Sponsored Links
Back