warranty

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When does the guarantee start on a new boiler, I am about to purchase one but it may not be commisioned for six months [no mains gas yet] I have spoken to the makers who say that it SHOULD start when .
the card is sent in.
I have looked on the online registration site and allsorts of details are required ie where purchased from when purchased etc am I right to be cautious, I can see the situation in the event of a claim--- yes sir sorry but you bought it from X on X of X it is way ouy of guarantee,
What is your experience in these cases ???

Sponsored Links
Just date it from commissioning date. Boilers hang around for months.

I often wonder what people like you and others think you achieve when you buy something ahead of the time when its needed.

During 1995 I rushed out with a work colleague during the lunch hour to help him carry a Glow-worm condensing boiler to his car. Its still in the box in his garage now 10 years later!

Buy the boiler when you need it not a day before! You will get the latest modifications.

The warranty and implied warrantee under the sale of goods act starts when you buy it from an acredited merchant. Most manufacturers will at their discretion start the warranty when the boiler is fitted by a CORGI registered installer if he has filled in the Benchmark providing this is within several months of the manufacture date and a few months of the sale date.

You dont say which make you are planning to use but different makes have different policies. Beware of boilers which are years old at the sale point, usually they have the manufacture date within the serial number on the outside of the box. Its also better to buy from a main stream merchant rather than small shops which sometimes sell off old stock.

Tony

Agile I take your point, the reasoni ask is that I intend to buy a Heating pack [ from Mr Central heating] I need the radiators from the pack to position the pipe runs before I lay the floors.
Due to unforseen circumstances the services will not be connected for at least 4 months hence my question
The boiler I intend to use is a Baxi 105 HE ?????

Sponsored Links
I understand your problem.

When you buy a boiler you have two warranties, the manufacturers and an implied warrantee under the sale of goods act. The latter is usually considered to be for a year from point of sale. The manufacturers will be the installation date at their discretion and possibly conditional on the installation by a CORGI who has filled in the certificate.

If I was you I would try to see if I could get a fresh boiler later on but this may be impractical if you are having it delivered by mail order.

I do like my vegetables and boilers to be fresh!

We do some warranty repairs and it is noticeable that boilers a year or two old when installed seem to have a higher failure rate.

Tony

You need to be careful. The 2nd year warranty on a Worcester-Bosch boiler is invalidated if it is not commissioned within 30 days from point of sale. So I was told by the supplier anyway.

I dont think that is normally the case but these things should be checked.

Where most people drop off is that virtually ALL second year guarantees are conditional on the boiler being serviced by a CORGI before the END of the first year.

Tony

Agile said:
During 1995 I rushed out with a work colleague during the lunch hour to help him carry a Glow-worm condensing boiler to his car. Its still in the box in his garage now 10 years later!.

I didn't know that Glowworm were that advanced back in '95 ;) The last one of theirs I installed was back in December. The return(or flow?) sensor was faulty and it was giving a lockout code! A great confidence boost!

We can tell the date the baxi was made by the serial number on it and we allow 18 months from this date and then if you still claim it is under warranty then you have to show the engineer who comes to fix it a receipt or invoice from installer to prove otherwise :cool:

God its hot :oops:

gazthepottertonengineer said:
We can tell the date the baxi was made by the serial number on it and we allow 18 months from this date and then if you still claim it is under warranty then you have to show the engineer who comes to fix it a receipt or invoice from installer to prove otherwise :cool:

God its hot :oops:

I have found most manufactures to be reasonable in the warrantee stakes, some of the boilers we fit could be sat there for a couple of years before they see water.

you will be pleased to note DO IT ALL that we are about to launch a range of condensing combis with 3 year and 5 year warranties :eek:

you will be pleased to note DO IT ALL that we are about to launch a range of condensing combis with 3 year and 5 year warranties :eek:

Stainless steel heat exchangers :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :confused:

yes promax combi he has a genoli one in it !!! same as the Viesman one apparently :cool:

Sounds promising.

Any chance they will iron out the bugs before I retire in 2 years :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back