washing machine and dishwasher mystery!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
last weekend I helped a friend change the pipe in his well. He know has a problem with his washing machine and dishwasher. (they don't seem to be taking in water). The w.machine is a Whirlpool AWM 8120 It starts it's cycle and then flashes F/H in green. Could we have disturbed the bottom of the well and this is just a matter of cleaning all filters or is the pressure the problem? He is using the water from the well for the whole house. What sort of pressure should he be using? Thanks for any help or advice!

Sponsored Links
Most manufactures recommend min 1bar / max 10bar. Well-water can cause all kinds of problems. With regard to the WM, an FH error usually turns out to be a water supply issue...clogged inline filters, low (or no) water pressure, inlet valve failure, or maybe even a defective pressostat. My money is on clogged filters/inlet valve, or too little water pressure.

yes, the WM and DW filters were clogged up when we checked. We had surely disturbed the bottom of the well when we changed the pipe. Cleaned both and now the washing machine is back in working order. The DW starts and then stops before the cycle starts. Possibly because there is still an issue with the water getting in to it. Could it have been damaged due to starvation of water? Is there another filter in it? Fiter is like new, water pipe is not blocked or kinked. Tap is on full. Pressure is OK. What should I check next? :confused: Cheers!

Sponsored Links
not blocked, all is clear. water comes out of tap, when the pipe is connected to tap water comes through pipe.

Almost every DW these days has an aquastop/inlet valve & inline filters. Did you hotwire the valve to check if it opens for flow? If you do have flow then check the pump & drain hose for blockages/crud etc. If you don't have flow then you've found the problem.

thanks for that! went back to have another look and found water in the tray at the bottom of the dishwasher that had triggerd the safety switch. Thought we'd solved it but when we switched it back on, the water came in to the resevoir before being sent directly into the tray once more, leaving no signs of where it leaked from. All pipes are attached and seem to be in very good condition. Should I take the pump off and clean it? Is this telling me that a pipe is blocked? any suggestions? Cheers!

thanks for your help! took the side off and found the leak. Nothing to serious and managed to repair it the same day! Was nothing to do with changing the pipe in the well after all! Cheers!

:( well all was well for a while, but now the DW fills up with water until it starts leaking from the bottom sides of the door. Is this a valve that refuses to shut? Brandt AA class can't seem to find a PNC number :cry:

Yep...the valve is probably jammed partially open because of sand/grit from the well water....Maybe he uses the well to hide murder victims :eek:
Bonne chance, l'espoir d'un genre nouveau clapet sur ​​le problème :D

Bravo! tu parle bien en français mais je suis anglais, so better and easier to write in English! I'll go and check the valve out sometime this weekend. As for the well; I didn't go all the way down just incase there were bodies or bits of at the bottom. I half expected mine to be found down there, it's a bit of a delicate position being down a well with your feet jammed into small holes and with only a rope tied around the waist! :rolleyes:

Sounds interesting (& slightly spooky :eek: ) More like a potholing expedition than a domestic appliance repair. What kind of pressure does he have at the actual installation? Low pressure can also cause inlet valve problems. He needs to have minimum 1bar (preferably around +/- 5bar). Good luck...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back